IFHS Spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

IFHS Spheres

Post by KP »

Am I correct in assuming it's the site
http://Www.sphere-shop.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I only ask as that site seems to have very little in stock and I need some for my new purchase :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: IFHS Spheres

Post by CitroJim »

What new purchase Will?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

KP wrote:Am I correct in assuming it's the site

I only ask as that site seems to have very little in stock and I need some for my new purchase :(
you can also buy from http://www.aepdirect.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Xantia Estate 1999 2.0 HDI 110
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

aneesh84 wrote:

you can also buy from http://www.aepdirect.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is where I got Gracies' spheres from. When you place the order add the vehicle details, as they want to make sure they supply the correct ones. If you forget, they will contact you for them, which will delay dispatch.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Cheers James :)

I notice they don't include pressures or volumes on their site but delivery stays at £7 even when more spheres are added so ill get that ordered up on Monday as I need one or two fronts :)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I got some for Gracie, and the date printed on at least one of them was from a few months previous to purchase.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

That's good news as I've heard of some places being years behind. And fair enough they aren't being flexed inside but they aren't designed to be in a totally unflexed dry position for long periods.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ask them im sure they should be able to supply them,
and from what i have herd they no all there is to know about spheres
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I was going to order the eight spheres for my new V6 from sphere shop but by the time shipping was added it was quite a bit more expensive than AEP direct. (About £230 vs £190)

The unit cost from AEP is a few quid a sphere cheaper and they don't charge for delivery on orders over about £50...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

That's good news as I'll order some rears for the activa at the same time I think :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote:That's good news as I've heard of some places being years behind. And fair enough they aren't being flexed inside but they aren't designed to be in a totally unflexed dry position for long periods.
I've got ten year old NOS spheres here that are just about bang-on for pressure. Age is not really an issue as long as they've been stored in the cool and are unused...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

But if they have been stored in a warehouse what are the chances they'll have stayed in a nice cool shaded place for that long? I've seen and been in warehouses over the last few months and in summer they can turn very warm inside as trying to keep an area so large cool isn't cheap and most places that don't need to keep the temp controlled just open the big loading doors to get some air in but then have a hot and cool spot problem..

Just me being fussy I guess Jim :)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote:
KP wrote:That's good news as I've heard of some places being years behind. And fair enough they aren't being flexed inside but they aren't designed to be in a totally unflexed dry position for long periods.
I've got ten year old NOS spheres here that are just about bang-on for pressure. Age is not really an issue as long as they've been stored in the cool and are unused...
I see on the sphere shop web page Jim that they brag about how they ship their spheres straight from the factory and claim that spheres have an annual pressure loss of 17%. Their implication of course is that this applies to shelf stock as well as in use spheres... Would you say this is wrong then ?

I've always thought that spheres only lose pressure when they are in use (diagram held off the limit stop at the bottom) but I have no hard facts to back that up. If true the implication for cars that sit for long periods of time (weeks, months) without being driven is clear - fully lower the suspension when laid up to let the suspension pressure out to prolong the sphere life! (Otherwise the anti-sink system keeps pressure in the suspension for remarkably long periods of time)

Perhaps even on a "weekend" car it would beneficial to lower it during the week...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I can only go by my own experiences and my own sphere tester here Simon... The above is what I find.
Mandrake wrote: If true the implication for cars that sit for long periods of time (weeks, months) without being driven is clear - fully lower the suspension when laid up to let the suspension pressure out to prolong the sphere life!
Oh yes definitely. Sinkers are believed to carry their spheres better and my experience of sinkers suggest that is the case. Many do indeed drop their anti-sinks to the bump stops when they're out of use for a while...

My Activa tends to do it all of her own accord!!!
Jim

isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

My HDI is also a sinker more or less Jim.
I was suspicious of a sphere I'd got from GSF, mindful of that 17% annual deterioration claim, as it had a fill date over three years old. I got it tested and the pressure was spot on
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)