Falken tyres any good?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiagreen
My Cars:

Falken tyres any good?

Post by xantiagreen »

Ordered 2 Falken ZE914 tyres for xantia fully fitted, swop back tyres to front and balance, fit new tyres to back balance and new valves fitting at home £128.
I found out later they were asymmetrical and not rotational which I've only ever fitted.

Firstly are these asymmet tyres ok given I only use the xantia for very short journey all town driving. And will the asymmetrical tread pattern cause any problems with handling of the car, I'm having the falk's fitted to the rear and almost new rear Accelera's fitted to front as I don't want the car slipping out from back (bad experience in another xantia on hankooks at rear) was thinking of going for kumho/nexen/matador/gt radial all priced within 4-6 pounds difference, but falk's had better wet grip and reviews were good.

Cheers.
My fault it's Mohawks I'm moving to the front not Accelera's they're being replaced with the Falkens.
Last edited by xantiagreen on 10 Sep 2014, 01:59, edited 1 time in total.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
96 Xantia 2lt 16v Sx Olive green
01 Xantia 110 Hdi
Storm Grey (SOLD 4/11/18)

Temporarily driving Polo 1.9sdi

All I want is a Bx Gti or 16v!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Fallen are ok and the asymmetrical aspect will be fine.

The Acceleras, in my experience with new ones on a Focus and a Xantia is that they're so bad wet or dry they should be illegal. Evil tyres.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Had a customer who had an Audi A8 executive taxi who had 4 of these Falkens. He was back within months and binned them as they were too noisy. That's the only experience I have of them tyres. Oh and he had Kumho tyres next as recommended by myself and was very happy.

Sell Acellera tyres at work as well and had them on the works van, utter rubbish and worse in the wet.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Yes, Kumhos are a great tyre. Very good value for money.

waynedance

Post by waynedance »

My last set was Kumho but now running a set of all seasons vredestein quatrac 3. Been on a year but not had chance to try in the white stuff yet.

Did a lot of research on all season tyres before deciding on the above, had to have them ordred from overseas.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: Falken tyres any good?

Post by daviemck2006 »

My daughter has used Falkens on her astra for 5 years. She did 20000 miles a year and bought two new ones each year. She put the new on the back and moved back to front. So they did 40k altogether. She never had a problem with them wet, dry or snow. Good mid range tyres. As for your acceleras or however they are spelled they are fit for putting on a drift car cos they do not want grip :shock: :twisted: :mrgreen: :rofl2: :rofl2:
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

Mohawks any good?
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

xantiagreen wrote:Mohawks any good?
If you're a native American Indian yes. :wink:
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

I ran falken ZE 912s on my SAAB 9-5 and my C5 tourer with no negatives at all, damp grip might be a bit less than some but no dramas.

Fitted the newer 914s to the front of my C5 III tourer about 10k miles ago, they are quieter than the old version and look as though I might only get 25k out of the. Compared with 27k on the old ones but it's hard to tell as wear rates seem to be non linear. Not terrible in snow and ice. I do fairly big mileages at decent speeds, but rarely thrash around the bends, and they might not satisfy the ultimate grip seekers.

Well pleased, a lot cheaper than Primacies. Falken are not a 'minority cheapo brand', they are a proper company.

If you look on blackcircles.com you can see noise etc ratings for most tyres.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
Northern_Mike

Re: Re: Falken tyres any good?

Post by Northern_Mike »

Richard_C wrote:
Well pleased, a lot cheaper than Primacies. Falken are not a 'minority cheapo brand', they are a proper company.
Compared to Kumho, who've been around since 1960 they are...

Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Its a bit pointless to get into a Falken/Kumho debate, but Kumho are 12th in the world by revenue, Falken (which is the brand of Sumitomo) are 6th. To me that qualifies them as 'not a minority brand'.

I suppose the point of my initial comment was that if you are dealing with a major manufacturer you can expect proper testing and quality control (because they all hate litigation) and its not a bloke in a shed moulding blu-tac onto knitting wool to make a tyre then stamping an ersatz EC mark on it. The fact that some car manufacturers fit a brand as OE also gives a bit of confidence.

According to rubber news, a fascinating publication with a real bounce in its journalism, and adverts for international latex conferences, the pecking order (at least in 2012) goes Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear, Continental, Pirelli, Sumitomo (Falken), Yokohama ...
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

The mohawks on the front are terrible, I spun at set of traffic lights on a dry day the Accelera's never did that even in wet/damp conditions.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

citroenc5mad

Post by citroenc5mad »

I like the saying you pay for what you get.

As for tyre brands does it matter, what tyres you stick on it, the cheap ones are only cheap because the materials used in the design, I could explain a little more if required, but basically there is more to it than a piece of rubber and reinforcement, because over all they use 3 different kinds off rubber and several layers of materials just to give the outside wall and the tread compound is straigh rubber which will give better grip etc, as this is a smallish layer of rubber over the main carcus.
I know this because I'm training to become a rubber technician.

In a way the real difference is how long the tyres last for as cheap brands etc wear and age quickly compared to the fearing brands.

Dan
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

citroenc5mad wrote:I like the saying you pay for what you get.

As for tyre brands does it matter, what tyres you stick on it, the cheap ones are only cheap because the materials used in the design
Not always. Supply and demand. Marketing. A lot of it is about making the public *think* they need something they don't.

For example, take a look at Camskill's site. I can get good name brand tyres for my car for £36.10 delivered.

Fuel Eff.: E Wet Grip: B NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 71dB

I can pay £30 more and get another name brand with :

(Fuel Eff.: F Wet Grip: E NoiseClass: 3 Noise: 73dB

Can you explain that? They're both big name, respected tyre makers...
citroenc5mad

Post by citroenc5mad »

Its todo with the design of the tyres and if the selected company your using for you tyres.
All garages vary in prices and companies that they use, for there tyres, I cant explain why they price them how they do its down to them to price them.
If they cost more to produce then the tyre will effectively cost the customer so on and so forth, so the price is put on the public.
It all comes down to what you want from the tyre.
As you didn't state what type of rubber is being used what type off reinforcment being used, to protect the tyre from sharp objects, etc etc so at the end off the day your paying for how good the overall tyre is not just the rating etc as you posted but the whole construction of the tyre its self.