Mystery coolant leak - Solved?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Mystery coolant leak - Solved?

Post by Old-Guy »

For some long time, the Green Lady has had a slight thirst for coolant; not enough to worry about, just irritating that every few hundred miles she needs a small top-up. No drips anywhere visible and it seemed to get better after I changed the thermostat a couple of months ago - leaky old seal?

Too simple, the thirst returned with the next long fast trip.

Then when looking for simple causes of the spluttery 'cold' starts, I spotted a drop (just one) of coolant way below the bleed cap behind the injector pump. Further investigation revealed that the Schrader-type cap had a slight split - swopped it with a new valve cap off one wheel.

The original blue cap escaped down the back of the Bosch pump several years ago and was replaced with a spare tyre valve cap of unknown age.

I suspect that when the engine was really hot, the split opened up under pressure releasing a tiny fine spray of steam. Changing the thermostat improved matters because the cooling system could cope better with hard driving and the engine now rarely goes above 83°C - full power up big hills (Haldon Hill A38 south of Exeter and Wells Hill on A37).

So, if your XUD engine starts to use a little coolant, check the bleed cap (or just fit a new one!) before looking for anything more serious.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Mystery coolant leak - Solved?

Post by DickieG »

Coolant bleed caps are different from tyre valve caps as they have a small rubber o-ring gasket at the bottom so best to stick to the correct cap as after all they can't cost very much new from a dealer.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

They are about 30p IIRC and the plastic ones have been replaced with metal ones.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Good work Guy :-D

Those are really hard to locate I know...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

myglaren wrote:They are about 30p IIRC and the plastic ones have been replaced with metal ones.
Plus the 20 mile round trip to get one! However, I have to go to Gloucester anyway on Friday...
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom