break issue on a dispatch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

marmot
New User

break issue on a dispatch

Post by marmot »

hi all new here really hope some one can help and i am sorry for the long post

i have a citroen dispatch 9 seater, and have a fair few issues with it, it is a 2011, i brought it in the UK but have moved to france and had the plates changed.

ok the major issue, in may the breaks started squealing quite bad so i took it into the local garage and they changed the pads and disks, i though it was a bit soon but hay ho, a few days latter the breaks started again, so back to the garage and they stripped them down and cleaned them, but it didn't stop them squealing, it fact it got worse and was now squealing even when not using the breaks, so i took it to the biggest town near us and in to the citroen garage, the problem is it doesnt make the noise all the time, and the garage only heard the breaks bit, and told me that the other garage had put cheap break parts on and they needed to bed in, i tried to explain that it was doing it before i had the parts changed, but they wouldn't have it.

a month and a half later i took it back in and they started to look more, they found a info rapid for the model saying the connector from the peddle right hand side and the servo left may have corroded and was not allowing the pads to release, so they took it in and fixed it? well for a week the breaks felt good and no sound but its back not as bad as before but getting there?

now the garage isn't sure whats wrong and i am afraid it will be a replace parts till it stops exercise which could be expensive?

it only happens when its warm been running for 30 min or more,
the breaks feel spungy
it makes the noise when you apply the breaks softly, when you push hard it stops
when it's squealing with out the breaks on, it stops if you turn the wheel but starts again after.

other thing that i am not sure if is connected, twice for my girlfriend she has pressed the clutch down and it hasn't come back up, she had to pull it up with her foot, and yesterday the window would not shut, hold the button to close and it would get half way and open again?

many thanks for any advice
davie206

Post by davie206 »

Is the noise coming from rear brake drums? If so it could be the brake shoe springs need replaced. If the springs have weakened the brake shoes could be binding on the break drum which causes a squeal when brakes get hot due to the binding. Make sure shoes are properly adjusted too
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re:

Post by qprdude »

davie206 wrote:Is the noise coming from rear brake drums? If so it could be the brake shoe springs need replaced. If the springs have weakened the brake shoes could be binding on the break drum which causes a squeal when brakes get hot due to the binding. Make sure shoes are properly adjusted too
Would a 2011 Dispatch have drum brakes?
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: break issue on a dispatch

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Quite possibly. My Pug Partner (14 reg) had rear drums.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Sounds like the shoes aren't retained properly, my 3-wheeler has drums on the front and was making a very similar noise when turning left because the shoe was catching the drum as it had moved off its proper position. This was actually the retaining spring rather than the return spring I presume Davie is on about.
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Brakes not breaks. :roll:

Well if you don't say people do not know.
Last edited by waynedance on 14 Sep 2014, 03:23, edited 1 time in total.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

waynedance wrote:Brakes not breaks :roll:

Well if you don't say people do not know.
You missed a full stop after the word "breaks".

Well, if no one tells you, you won't know, will you?
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

doh!!!
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.