Looking at 206's

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

Looking at 206's

Post by isisalar »

Following the recent demise of the wife's Saxo and mindful of the advice on here to avoid diesel for a low milage car, I'm looking for a 206. A 1.1 or 1.4 petrol. It would seem they are both about the same fuel wise and the insurance difference is minimal. I'm leaning towards a 1.4 as they seem a bit more common and should have had an easier life.
I'm guessing that the LX is the basic model and the GLX is the next step up, could anyone say the difference please?
Also there seem to be a lot of other models such as Quicksilver, fever, S, look and SE, all very confusing, can anyone help unravel? I'd like to get the top spec if possible.
Likewise with the 206 mechanically, I've been told to look out for / \ rear wheels and a visibly leaking head gasket, anything else to look out for?
A lot of the ads mention a mono sound system? Would I be safe to assume that a boot mounted CD would be stereo?
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Looking at 206's

Post by citronut »

look at the forward face at the cam belt end of the engine from the bottom of the head face downwards for oil leaking,
this is a sure sign of head gasket failure,

although its a very easy job to do on these engines

i think the mention of mono might be referring to mono point injection, and not the sound system,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

I think it goes S - LX - SE - GLX, the other names are just rebranded variations of the aforementioned.

Don't forget the beautiful Roland Garros 1.6.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Thanks guys, very useful information. Any idea what standard models the specials tie up to anyone? Glx looks like the one to go for. I'm sure the Roland Garros is wonderful but this car is going to be a shopping basket mostly so would be a bit of a waste.
Malcolm, the mono description is definitely the sound system, I asked as the GLX's seem to have the boot mounted CD.
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
Northern_Mike

Re: Re: Looking at 206's

Post by Northern_Mike »

isisalar wrote: Malcolm, the mono description is definitely the sound system, I asked as the GLX's seem to have the boot mounted CD.
No it isn't. All 206s had a stereo sound system be it cassette or CD.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

maybe the sound system is down on one chanel

i dont remember/know what/when the last car was produced only wearing a mono sound system, must have been early 70ies maybe
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

citronut wrote:maybe the sound system is down on one chanel

i dont remember/know what/when the last car was produced only wearing a mono sound system, must have been early 70ies maybe
When I used to PDI new AX and 205s back in the 80s I was fitting stereos to even the most basic 1.0 cars if the buyer wanted one. Even the most basic crappy blaupunkt were stereo.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Maybe it's got a 78 stacker in the boot?
davie206

Post by davie206 »

206 2.0 hdi 90hp
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Yes, the HDi is the one to go for. It's not a complicated engine and they go forever. Get one that's had the timing belt already done and it'll go forever.

isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Hi guys, I can promise you that the standard radio equipment on any model below GLX is described as :- Clarion radio/mono cd and on the Glx Phillips rb3 radio/cass with cd autochanger. Having just written that I'm thinking the mono must refer to the SINGLE cd player.
Mike it was you that really put me off getting an HDI 90 for the low milage use. Now I'm really confused.
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Yes. That means single CD. NOT mono sound.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

isisalar wrote: Mike it was you that really put me off getting an HDI 90 for the low milage use. Now I'm really confused.
No, I didn't, you said something about buying a diesel because one of the petrol cars you'd seen had a misfire and it could be plugs, leads, coil pack or fuel injection, or something like that, and I merely pointed out that diesels also have timing belts, EGR valves, injectors, lift pumps, crank pulleys, filters, turbo chargers, and some have dual-mass flywheels and DPFs that can break expensively, and you were kidding yourself if you thought that a diesel would be less expensive to fix if it broke.

The 8v HDI 90 motor in the earlier 206s is fine. It's the same as the one in my Berlingo which is going just fine. I think we've hammered if for 50k or so in the last 3 years.