More 305 brake upgrades snags

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nametooshort
My Cars:

More 305 brake upgrades snags

Post by nametooshort »

Dammit, why is the 305 so troublesome. This is starting to get annoying.

So, long story short, my house is like a French car grave yard at the moment, and while we managed to build a auto v6 205 and the ultimate MPG highway cruiser if you are not in a hurry, a 2.0HDi 205, I still can't get this damn 305 brakes upgraded which is what I want, 205s are fun to play with and stuff but I want my daily driver 305 to have decent brakes. Technically it can get any of the powerplants we been guineypigging on the much more common 205s, I am hoping to eventually get a Dmax to work in there, try it on a 205 first and then if it works move it into my 305. But I need to fix this problem with upgrading the brakes.

So, someone told me that 305s and 205s use the same brake setup, and calipers and rotors from a 306 will fit, its a common retrofit to 205s so will work on 305s also.

But noooooo. While the calipers do indeed fit, the vented rotors foul the steering knuckle casting, because the vented rotors are thicker. I guess its probably possible to just spacer them out, but that brings it's own problems, it will stick the wheels out further and mess with front end geometry and also it will mean the calipers are in an odd place I think.

So, anyways, 306 brakes do NOT fit a 305.

However, someone else said that its possible to retrofit whole 306 hubs/knuckles, since they are interchangeable and as long as you find a donor 306 with the same size ball joint and the correct drive flange.

But then someone else said that while they will physically fit, they will mess with the front wheel camber settings because they have a different strut mount angle or something.

So, does anybody know anything about this? Can you indeed retrofit whole hubs/knuckles from a 306 to a 306, brakes and all? (might also kinda improve wheel choices!).

Or are there problems with those too?

Is the 305 knuckle the same as a 405 as some people seem to think, or not?

405s are unfortunately very rare too, but they had vented brakes, so maybe a 405 setup will work if I can find one?

Thanks
BX
My Cars:

Re: More 305 brake upgrades snags

Post by BX »

The Citroën BX is the closest relative of the 305 that I know of. I know that a lot of parts were common, for example brake discs, wheel bearings, drives etc. Now this is where it starts to get funny. The BX had the handbrake on the front and used LHM fluid. I am sure there has to be stocks of new-old stock brake parts out there for the BX gti. The question is, can you get callipers that are compatible with dot3 fluid. Maybe the seals on the BX will resist both, I don't know. As far as I know the 305 was actually replaced by the 405 not by the 309 or 306 so maybe there is something from the 405 family.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

There are different "hat" heights for the rotors, are you using 266mm diameter discs?

http://www.bremboaftermarket.com/It/Car ... &SearchC=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nametooshort
My Cars:

Post by nametooshort »

My 305 uses 246mm rotors on the front so i found a 306 with the same size rotors , but vented and with better design calipers, ate v s the old Bendix. It looks like the rotor is about --5 to 6 mm too deep, the hat is the same but the vented rotor is thicker so it fouls even with the same hat
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Have you tried mounting the caliper brackets? Given that 205 conversions typically seem to use the 266mm discs, would you clear such an item instead of the 246mm units?
nametooshort
My Cars:

Post by nametooshort »

Unfortunately i dont have no 266 mm brake components that i can try right now. Since the original 305s system was 246mm, and the calipers juuuuust clear the stock 15inch rims and fitting almost any non genuine rims dont work, so i figured the 266 mm setup would be even bigger, so since i found a couple of donor 306s with 246mm brakes, i figured id stick to that. So i have nothing 266mm i can try, apart from one of the 205s but thats not here right now.

The 246mm solid rotors from the 305 and the vented 306 rotors both have the same hat depth, but because hat depth is measured from the virtual centre of the rotor, thicker vented rotors have a bigger overhang despite having the same hat offset, if that makes sense?

There seems to only be 2 flavors of 246mm rotor hats, the deeper type and the shallower type. Mine is the shallower type i assume, but its not shallow enough.

Of course the other option is to mill 4mm or so from the knuckle casting, but thats another whole problem.

Anybody happen to know the deal with 306 hubs? Can they be transplanted whole or do they mess with the camber?