Water inside of Xantia cabin :(

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

longgo
My Cars: was Xantia I LPG
now - Xantia II
wish DS23

Water inside of Xantia cabin :(

Post by longgo »

Hi folks,
and sorry if i write something stupid...my Eng. suck little.. or maybe not little :mrgreen:

Subject: Xantia Break - `98, left hand drive

After one heavy rain about week ago my i`ve got in trouble. First my driving side carpet get wet as swamp. Strange enough, it did get wet only from top. Even i shouldn`t maybe spot the problem until i saw small water spot on the rubber leg mat covering the carpet.
So here is some picture to become my story:

The left part of the shot, marked with red was the only area of the rubber seal what was wet. Forward, and backward - dry. The same story apply on the area marked with yellow. There was really moist , and again forward and back - totally dry. I pull up carpet area as much as i can and take a look under.
All metal floor, around the cables on left , under the pedals, and even the foam in between the body and the carpet were dry. So nothing has leaked from that very areas. The passenger side from other hand all was dry also, as the leg area in the rear passengers.

The right part of the shot in red round - when i slide my fingers on the plastic panel under in the marked area was wet quite a lot. I open under that whole area and found that the isolation material between the plastic decoration and the metal part of the door was wet as sponge.
Mate suspect the the door overfull with water and it start to leak from that area straight on the mat because on closed door it is exactly over it. Just to mention that the drain holes in the door, and in front are clean. Huh..

The second strange wet spot - come in that marked with red area. When i remove that cover from inside around there was filled with mud and dirt. When i pull up the carpet what cover the trunk in the middle line all was wet and also probably from there water has been going towards the rear seats because under them i found again small swamp.

So, after that boring and stupid intro the question is - can someone give some tip what can i try to remove that problem. I try to clean and also check the rubber door seals., but any hint or theory is welcome because for now i get no clue

Thanks
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Water inside of Xantia cabin :(

Post by DickieG »

For the drivers door I'd say a poor bond between the door membrane and door itself was to blame (plastic film behind the door card), for the tailgate check the seal where the wiper motor shaft pokes through the tailgate.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The tailgate will be the plastic internal membrane having come away from the door - it really needs to be removed completely and re-sealed with the mastic on a tape type stuff. You can do it with bathroom silicone etc, but it tends to only last a year or so before it lets go again.
Richard W
longgo
My Cars: was Xantia I LPG
now - Xantia II
wish DS23

Post by longgo »

Thanks for the hints guys. The last time when i remove to repair the tailgate wiper motor i check that O-seal and was looking quite fine.Also i tighten the nut that goes over and it seems that nothing is possible to flow inside from that place but of course i can be totally wrong.
From what you told me comes the idea that the membranes keep the water to not pass in(by the way,it's true that trunk door membrane is not sealed properly) But in that case if there is that much water flowing should be any other main reason for that.I do not wish to believe, that car is developed to have Niagara Falls inside the doors.Little water maybe, but that..