C5 2.2L Lexia faults. Vacuum test enquiry

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fotobright

C5 2.2L Lexia faults. Vacuum test enquiry

Post by fotobright »

Hi,
Citroen C5 SX 2.2L 16v 2001, 122,000mls

Have the first chance today to put the C5 on the Lexia. Cleared the faults and then ran it and it came back with the two faults we though it would. Turbo pressure signal and Diesel low additive level. ie car going into limp mode after 1 mile of driving. There's nothing in the service book for the last 8000 so assume its not not been serviced properly since then, perhaps the cause..however reading the topics on FCF about the C5 2.2 these two issues are common. I suppose the DPF seems the easier of the two to resolve but I think we'll start by doing vacuum tests on the turbo pipework as a priority.

Turbo:
Which turbo pipework should we be looking at first, has someone a diagram or a link to assist? Obviously we dont have the Haynes as it doesnt exist for the 2.2, any threads or pics always useful as the pipework snakes all over the place and we'll be doing this tomorrow morning.

So once we know whether the turbo problem is just a bad vacuum issue or something more robust then we can go back to the DPF.

DPF:
There seem to be a couple of ways to deal with the dpf warning light. Eolys top/refill or DPF removal/remap of the ecu. I'm wondering how much the remap is, assuming we can get the file emailed to us and input through interface. As a cost i'm just wondering about that in comparison to a 5L Eolys changeover?

I think everyone's aware of the 2.2L C5 issues but the car is squeaky clean with a good service history and lots of stuff does work on the car so worth pursuing for a bit. Any thoughts or links most appreciated.
Peugoet 207 SW Hdi 1.6 live*
C5 2.2L HDi 16v estate (01)
Xsara Hdi 90 estate
Xantia 1.9TD estate, (veg oil)
Zx 1.9TD hatchback
Zx 1.9D hatchback
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Re: C5 2.2L Lexia faults. Vacuum test enquiry

Post by SaabC5 »

Were you getting any warning messages on the info display, ie diesel filter blocked or low additive warning?
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
fotobright

Post by fotobright »

SaabC5 wrote:Were you getting any warning messages on the info display, ie diesel filter blocked or low additive warning?
We ran the Lexia and it identified low additive. The car was running in limp mode from a vacuum issue, which the Lexia picked up as well. I'm pleased to report however that we found a break in a vacuum hose from the vacuum reservoir, bypassed the reservoir and hey presto the turbo is back and no limp mode. DPF next :)
Xsara Hdi 90 estate
Zx 1.9TD hatchback
Zx 1.9D hatchback
SaabC5

Post by SaabC5 »

DPF is not too bad but quite mucky. Get a bottle of acidic wheel cleaner to help you clean it. You need to take the DPF off with the 2 supply lines attached and then crack off the 4 nuts that hold the top of the DPF on. Stand it vertically and pour the wheel cleaner into the honey comb and allow it to work its way through. Then give it a good spray with a pressure washer and watch all the black crap flow out of it. Let it drain/dry for 30 mins and re-install.
Here's mine when it was done....

fotobright

Post by fotobright »

Excellent :) I'll get onto it. G
Xsara Hdi 90 estate
Zx 1.9TD hatchback
Zx 1.9D hatchback
fotobright

Post by fotobright »

SaabC5 wrote:DPF is not too bad but quite mucky. Get a bottle of acidic wheel cleaner to help you clean it. You need to take the DPF off with the 2 supply lines attached and then crack off the 4 nuts that hold the top of the DPF on. Stand it vertically and pour the wheel cleaner into the honey comb and allow it to work its way through. Then give it a good spray with a pressure washer and watch all the black crap flow out of it. Let it drain/dry for 30 mins and re-install.
Here's mine when it was done....

Just out of interest, why did you choose to clean and keep the FAP intact rather than go the DPF removal/remap route?
I would do the removal and remap if I thought it would improve the mpg. What I should do is go through a checklist before doing the DPF.
Air filter replace
EGR and pipework clean out
Injector cleaner?
Brakes
tyre pressure

anything else?
Xsara Hdi 90 estate
Zx 1.9TD hatchback
Zx 1.9D hatchback
SaabC5

Post by SaabC5 »

Tbh i didn't want to incur the cost of having the innards removed and then the software re-written to remove all DPF data. All my work is also done by a VOSA inspector who wouldn't go against the rules cos he knows he's gonna test the car every year and doesn't want to lose his livelyhood by breaking the rules. It only needs to be cleaned every couple of years and its done for the price of a curry and a few beers. :lol:

I should add i'm getting 31mpg average around Central London and early 50's on a run so i'm happy with the MPG as it is.
fotobright

Post by fotobright »

I'm swithering about the DPF. I'll drive the car about for a bit and see how its going, only had it a week and only two days with the turbo working. Its a swither further situation on the DPF.

Sounds like the mpg you get is about the best there is for the 2.2, I'll aspire to that.

Cheers
Xsara Hdi 90 estate
Zx 1.9TD hatchback
Zx 1.9D hatchback