Clutch pedal solid !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aramsay
My Cars: '02 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2HDi
'97 Citroen XM VSX 2.1TD
'63 Hillman Imp.....

Clutch pedal solid !

Post by aramsay »

I have an '02 C5 2.2 HDi Estate, and just today the clutch pedal went absolutely solid, and won't push down.

I've seen some reference to a "pull" type clutch lever, but I don't quite understand this workings, and what to look for to fix.

I have the air-box out, but there doesn't seem a lot of room behind the slave-cylinder. I havn't taken it out yet, in case I can do some more analysis of the problem.

Any suggestions ?
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Clutch pedal solid !

Post by citronut »

maybe the flexi hose to the slave cylinder has collapsed internally causing a blockage???
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
aramsay
My Cars: '02 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2HDi
'97 Citroen XM VSX 2.1TD
'63 Hillman Imp.....

Post by aramsay »

citronut wrote:maybe the flexi hose to the slave cylinder has collapsed internally causing a blockage???
OK....hose looks good cond., but I will check it.

I have, however, read something about a clip or pin that holds the thrust bearing in place can fail, but can't yet figure out if
this fault can be seen behind the slave cyl., and if it is then a gearbox out fix..............
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It does appear to be a pull type clutch (the clutch is reverse acting compared to a 'normal' clutch, ie the release bearing is pulled away from the engine to disengage the drive). Normally if the bearing breaks free of the clutch then the pedal goes to the floor. Wonder if it might be a mechanical problem at the pedal end rather than something else? Odd one...
Richard W
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Its unlikely to be any of the hoses in the clutch hydraulics, as they are made of high pressure thickwall nylon.

I have heard of the release bearing seizing on the shaft in the clutch assembly, but suspect it to be a rare occurrence.

As your car is a 2.2, does it still have the dynamic clutch assembly fitted? That might be where the problem is as they can disintegrate with dire consequences. Any nasty noises from the clutch operation before it went wrong?

Could also be the clutch release arm pivot bearings. They can collapse and seize on the pivot shaft. Seen that on a few PSA cars.

H
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

handyman wrote:Its unlikely to be any of the hoses in the clutch hydraulics, as they are made of high pressure thickwall nylon.
H
whats the difference between brake and clutch flexi hose's then Richard, i have seen cases were a brake hose collapses internally,

aramsay wrote:
OK....hose looks good cond., but I will check it.

they may not show any signs of a problem on the outside
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
thorter
My Cars:

Post by thorter »

If the C5 clutch is like the Xantia HDI, it will have a conventional hydraulic pedal cylinder complete with a (sealed) reservoir.

So a possible explanation is that the snap ring on the pull clutch has let go, the pedal has gone right down, been manually pulled back up, and without the normal positive pressure due to the clutch springs, the pedal cylinder has sucked in fluid from the reservoir. As the arm at the clutch end will already be at the limit of travel, the pedal will now be solid.

Fred