Xantia Clutch Cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kilianmanning

Xantia Clutch Cable

Post by kilianmanning »

Hey guys,
fitting a new clutch to one of my xantias.
We are just putting it back together now but have ran into a problem.
When I put the clutch cable back onto the bracket on the gearbox it isn't holding pressure & pulling the clutch. (clutch pedal not springing back up either)
I am also sure that the clutch fork is lined up correctly with the release bearing.
I was thinking that the clutch cable is gone? Or anybody else with any information?
Kilian
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Re: Xantia Clutch Cable

Post by sparksie »

Hi Kilian

You're most likely right, BUT... have you inserted the pin that locks the release arm to the rod and are you sure it hasn't fallen out again?
Cit has a habit of losing that pin, no matter what potion I use to stick it in place. I have a plan to alter the design, at some point, and thread the hole to take a bolt, similar to the front wheel drive Opel/Vauxhall range from the '80s and '90s.
I have become quite adept at re-fitting the pin at the roadside, though now that it's not raining every day, she hasn't done it for a while!
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
kilianmanning

Post by kilianmanning »

I have a form of a pin in for the moment until the local engineering place makes me up a new pin tomorrow ;) Roadside repairs wouldnt be unusual for citroens! :-) So you think my clutch cable is gone? Cable was fine prior to this when the old clutch was still in
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

What engine are we talking about?

If it's a 1.9TD then I would suspect that the fork is not engaged in the release bearing. With the arm on and the pin in, can you rotate the arm by hand? It should just be possible, if it turns easily, then box needs to come back off to re-engage the release arm - it's not that easy to get it back in!
Richard W
kilianmanning

Post by kilianmanning »

Its a 1.9 Td, & it isnt easy to pull the arm, im fairly sure I have the fork engaged with the release bearing...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

8-) at least that means the box doesn't need to come off again!

I think it probably has an auto adjust cable (no thread on the end?) and therefore you have lost the auto adjustment in the cable whilst it has been off. There is a procedure which explains how to re-set it: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=42676" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you might get away with shoving the two halves of the cable back together and holding it whist an assistant drops the end back on the gearbox. Then again, you might have to do battle with the infamous pedal clip to get the cable out.... :evil:
Richard W
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Thus far, I've been lucky with the auto adjuster.
I gather it can be a right pig.
Mine has always just allowed me to pull it out far enough to engage it, then (by magic!) tightened up as soon as I pushed the pedal.
VW cables do this and I've never figured out how they achieve it.
Ford use a notoriously unreliable ratchet and pawl in the pedal itself, which I do understand, but the magic cable that differentiates between a pull from one end and the other mystifies me!
I'm glad it works, though :-D
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

PS. By the sound of it, your outer cable is too short, for whatever reason.
Could it be that your new clutch is using a different (more worn) point in the "magic bit" and it's slipping instead of biting?
Somebody, at some point, has made a spacer out of some kind of fake wood, on Cit. The DIY spacer has the effect of taking up slack, or lengthening the outer. I don't know why and have never tried removing it, as it works well as it is. It's about 1/4" thick, which is quite a lot in a clutch cable!
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
kilianmanning

Post by kilianmanning »

Got sorted for the moment i think. I now have a good pedal.
I had the clutch lined up properly. When I put in my new pin & put the cable in all came good.
I'll know tomorrow when its fully back together if I will have any further problems.
kilianmanning

Post by kilianmanning »

RichardW wrote:8-) at least that means the box doesn't need to come off again!

I think it probably has an auto adjust cable (no thread on the end?) and therefore you have lost the auto adjustment in the cable whilst it has been off. There is a procedure which explains how to re-set it: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=42676" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you might get away with shoving the two halves of the cable back together and holding it whist an assistant drops the end back on the gearbox. Then again, you might have to do battle with the infamous pedal clip to get the cable out.... :evil:
I have an auto adjust cable. :| Thanks for that guide though, as I'm having major trouble with the clutch cable on my 406 TD. :(
When the clutch cable is fitted the clutch slips in every gear & the bite is extremely high. Clutch is new so thats not the problem.
I presume the cable has stopped auto adjusting?
It only happened the other day when I was taking the pin out of the arm on the gearbox to measure it, when I refitted the cable again it went like that. :cry:
Can't make head or tail of that guide either :P
Last edited by kilianmanning on 16 Aug 2014, 04:20, edited 1 time in total.
kilianmanning

Post by kilianmanning »

If anybody is wondering, yes I do have a xantia & a 406, I just love my french cars :P
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

kilianmanning wrote:If anybody is wondering, yes I do have a xantia & a 406, I just love my french cars :P
It's an illness I've always had a strong immunity to, but I do have a soft spot for the 406!
In my case the Xantia replaced my 406, but did a bad enough job to not get used as intended and has now become personal transport and mobile tool box for yours truly! However, in that capacity it has breached all my defences and become a personal favourite. Not sure how that's going to affect my attitude in the future... A bit worrying, really!
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD