MAF sensor and engine warning light link ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

MAF sensor and engine warning light link ?

Post by charentejohn »

Just read a couple of posts on this and before I spend £50-120 is there a way to clean/test this to see if it is why the engine warning light is on.

The car runs fine, and has done for months, with the light on so nothing fatal just unhappy about something ?
That said it did cut out a few days ago when I left it in 2nd on low revs and nearly stalled it. It then cut out a couple of times immediately after, but once it was moving has been fine since. No power loss of hiccups.
Someone who folllowed me recently did say the exhaust was a bit smoky, not bad enough for me to see in the mirror though. Would this be a clue.

I have various cleaners, such as electrical spray cleaner which is pretty good at cleaning tarnished surfaces. Would this be ok to use on the sensor ?
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: MAF sensor and engine warning light link ?

Post by myglaren »

Carburettor cleaner but treat it very gently and don't touch the wires with anything other then the spray.

It is unusual for the MAF to throw up an EML. Have you checked the air filter and also the air hoses for damage or collapsing?
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks, I will check the hoses as there may be some problems, I have had them off some time ago (probably when this started now that I think about it) to do the spheres.
So not necessarily the MAF itself but the inlet system in general, all needs to be airtight. I will check the filter, it was recent but very dusty here so probably clogs faster than most.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I wouldn't think its the MAF as that usually results in no power below about 3000 rpm and I have never known it put a light on. Most problems I have had were caused by the HP pump pressure regulator or rather the filter in it.

Peter
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Mine occasionally would show the eml and go into limp mode for a while and then clear. It always happened going uphill in a high gear.
A Lexia session showed the MAF at fault, together with a dodgy injector. Replaced the MAF and the injector, no problem since but replacement is injector still ticking.
A lexia will say for sure but these MAF's aren't everlasting, and the cheap ones don't last long at all.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

See if there is a nearby forum member who would be willing to do a Lexia session for you - unless you get the faults read everything is pure speculation. There are a dozen different problems that would bring on the EML, so stumbling around changing parts willy nilly won't get you anywhere... ;)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Yes, often my problem is that due to lack of knowledge I try to change parts in the hope it goes away.
I do have a Lexia but always have a problem where it says no 12V+ connection. I think this is missing on my socket which is a pain. Always annoying to have to fix things just to do a job, always the way....

I know I have a dodgy injector, I can still hear a tick which goes awat after the magic 3200rpm, but again need the Lexia to say which one.
My only consolation is the car still works but I will try to get the Lexia going, failing that I will take it to my local garage to have them do it. Often they don't charge me as they know they will be doing the repair, if not really simple.