C5 X7 door window switch tutorial

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

I've decided to replace my current window's switch in the front passenger door, because it was looking ugly and it was scratched/damaged with the finger jewelry, hand cream etc, usually the female department. So, the part no in question is 6490 Y8 (00006490Y8), cost me 17 GBP from the Citroen Service, new of course. Didn't manage to find the procedure for removal in the Service Documentation, but it is fairly easy, you just need to know where the anchor/clip points are (it can be forced out, but you'll damage the door upholstery/cover ... and you wouldn't really want to do that) ... Use a plastic tool, or a blunt knife to pry and lift the bottom of the switch panel from the upholstery, and with a flat screwdriver, pull the back metal clip towards the front, and it will come off ... after that, 2 solutions, pull the entire switch to the back until it comes off (there are cutaways in the upholstery), or, unhook the outer front hook in the same manner ... the first method seemed easier, because the fixed door handle is in the way slightly for the second one to be doable properly ... no damage in the end ... unhook the connector (slight press in the bottom to unhook it), connect the new switch , and just pop it into place vertically in one go, without applying too much force, it should click in nicely (if it doesn't, recheck the position, to avoid damaging the upholstery). The pictures show the procedure, but more importantly, the location of the clips.

EDIT: Apologies for slightly larger images, didn't figure out they're not shrinked until after the upload.

[old]

[new]

[after]

As for the other part, I've decided to go an extra mile, and dismantled the old switch, so you can see the components (outer shell, inside shell, rubber membrane, 2 plastic arms, plastic connector, Delphi module with 4 pins & 4 buttons) ... each of the buttons is one action (half press in both directions and full press in both directions) of the door window. Fairly simple, right.

Last edited by vborovic on 10 Aug 2014, 18:14, edited 2 times in total.
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Replying for future reference as mine are fine. But are bound to get messy.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.