Lexia and dead-locking ECU on Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantia97
My Cars:

Lexia and dead-locking ECU on Xantia

Post by Xantia97 »

Hi All,
Before I go totally round the bend, can someone please tell me if they have successfully got a Lexia to read the dead-locking ECU on a 1997 Xantia please, or any S1 Xantia for that matter?
If you have can you tell me what info I can expect to see please. I still can't get the Lexia to read more than 3 ECUs, am trying all the mods to the 30 pin plug that I can find because it is too big, but no success so far. :(
Thanks,
Juliet
1997 Xantia 1.9TD LX (owned for 14 years) - Snoopy

Gone but always remembered
GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Lexia and dead-locking ECU on Xantia

Post by citroenxm »

The box for the locking is between the seats, under the rear window switch section.. pull it up and theres a black box under there..

Im not sure you can rear them on S1 cars..

What issues are you haveing?
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

On a pin diagram for the 30 pin brown plug there is a pin for the dead-locking ECU and I have the corresponding pin in the car. I am trying to find out why the plip will not work and hoped that reading the ECU would show a fault. The alarm works and can be read by Lexia, the plips are showing strong IR beams, I have replaced the receiver in the roof but still am unable to get the plips working. I have tried every programming method on the internet and having subscribed to Citroen Service have the official method of programming the plips, I also found diagrams that show that the dead-locking ECU controls everything, so was hoping to find the fault with that with the Lexia.

GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Sometimes the Roof reciver simply Stops receiving the signal from the PLIPPER..

What procedure are you useing to program the key?

The Alarm ECU is under the passenger seat (UK cars, drivers seat in France) and Im still not sure which box actually respondes to the PLIPPER signal..

I think its the one between the seats.

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

Neither of the receivers appear to work, we have checked and there is power going to the receiver in the roof.
My alarm ECU, which is normally under the passenger seat is now above the carpet for easy access, it is dry and the Lexia is reading it and shows which doors are open etc..

The procedure for programming keys as per Citroen Service is

The vehicle is unlocked
Set the emergency key to the plus accessories position
Within the following 10 seconds, press key 'A' of a transmitter, positioning it against the receiver
Within the following 10 seconds, a second transmitter could be programmed. Press key 'A' of the second transmitter, positioning it against the receiver.

I have tried every other method on the forum that I could find.

The deadlocking ECU (beside the handbrake) decodes the plip, the receiver just amplifies the signal and does not decode anything, apparently.

I need to get the plip working so that the alarm can be switched back on, my camera insurance states for all my equipment to be covered I must have a professionally fitted alarm (done loads myself in the past but this is not acceptable), I am hoping to avoid having to have another alarm fitted - at a ridiculous cost!! It would also be nice to use the plip to lock the doors rather than the key.

Any ideas please?

GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

What I have done to program a PLIPPER..

One key blade in the ignition.. then Put ignition onto first position.. then press the lock lock lock then unlock unlock unlock buttons, pointing at the reciver but NOT too close... THEN straight after, switch the ignition to POSITION 2 so all the dash lights come one, and repeat. Leave for a few moments, key off and try.

Sometimes Ive needed to swap the box between the seats ALONG WITH the roof reciver to get a working set.

Have you tested the Infra red light output on the key? Point it into a digital camera and see if its got a light output!

Its known for the LED to break away from the Key curcuit board.

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I can't get my Lexia to read the deadlocking ECU on my new 1997 S1 Xantia either, despite my 30 pin adaptor cable having all the wires connected - from what I've read on the forum a Lexia 3 can't read this ECU (only a Lexia 2 or ELIT) and others have the same problem. :(

As for programming, I just programmed both my plips for my new S1 as neither were working when I got the car. Here's what I did:

As I have two plips but no normal emergency key I took the circuit board out of one key so I could insert the key blade in the ignition. This is necessary because you have to program all plips in the same session otherwise old plips are unpaired.

With doors closed and unlocked I turned on the ignition then immediately held plip 1 close to the receiver (about 3 inches) and pressed the A (unlock) button as quickly as I could about 15-20 times, I then immediately pressed the same button on plip 2 15-20 times as quickly as I could, then immediately turned the key off. I didn't press the B (deadlock) button at all.

I don't know if it mattered but I then opened the door and closed it and waited about 10 seconds, then tested the plips.

I tried different timings and it took me about 4 attempts to program them - the first couple of times it didn't work and I think its because I didn't press the buttons enough times or quickly enough.

It doesn't work for me if I just press each button once as the official programming procedure suggests. Hope that helps. :)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

Thanks for the programming methods, I'll try both tomorrow, fingers crossed!!

Yes both plips work and have IR beams working, checked with camera.

Simon, that explains a lot, there are definitely more pins on the car than sockets in the plug, even taking into account the car is only an LX. What are the chances of getting a Lexia 2 and are there any other ECUs that the Lexia 3 cannot read, all I can read is anti-theft, a/c and injection. Any idea how the Lexia 3 perform on a 1997 XM?

How's the new V6?

GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

I take it that the Lexia 2 are the full size machines used by the garages having had a quick look on Google :(

GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

Need help on this idea!! :-D
This is based on my Lexia.

1. The first cable connection to the Lexia unit ends in a round plug and that has 20 pins (30 pin capability), so in theory enough to possibly diagnose all ECUs on our older Xantias and XMs, Lexia appears to be expecting to talk to more ECUs than it does, and the software appears to back this up.
2. The brown plug in my car has 17 pins, but it is only an LX so other higher spec cars will have more but I don't think more than 20 - correct me if I'm wrong.
3. Therefore, the Lexia at it's first connection should be able to 'talk' to all pins in the car.
4. The round socket that connects from the Lexia to the next cable only has metal connections for 16 pins.
5. The brown socket that connects to the car has the ability for 30 pins, so 20 should be no problem but only has 16 sockets for pins, it connects to a 16 pin 'extension' cable.
6. The 'extension' cable between 1 and 5 has only 16 pins.

So my question is if a brown socket that connects to the car could be found / manufactured with a 30 pin round plug (with the correct 20 sockets populated) and that is directly connected to the round plug at the Lexia end (therefore excluding the 16 pin cable) would we then have complete reading of all ECUs? I've seen this set-up on Amazon but the item is no longer available and I don't know if it had the correct number of populated sockets.
Is this feasible, cable wise - please excuse the terms used, I don't know the correct terminology for all this :lol:
Apologies if this has been thought of before and discounted as being impossible :)

http://pinoutsguide.com/CarElectronics/ ... nout.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

http://www.uobd2.net/wholesale/lexia-3- ... -1592.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This what I am thinking of, but don't know how many connections the brown socket has

GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The round connector is a facsimile of a Milspec French unit made by Burndy. I've not found the genuine item for sale in a compatible for, at a sane price and in small quantities.

You could also seek out some 16-way shielded cable and small female terminals to directly "one for one" hook into the Burndy male plug from your car's diagnostic port. The spring loaded face of the round connector is easily released.
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

You could also seek out some 16-way shielded cable and small female terminals to directly "one for one" hook into the Burndy male plug from your car's diagnostic port. The spring loaded face of the round connector is easily released.
But wouldn't that still tie me to 16 connections, or would I change the connections for each extra ECU, or am I totally missing the point? :)

GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

My interface has 22 pins populated, while the OBD-in side has only sixteen.

What about reconfiguring it to the later style socket in the car?
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

Right, so there must be different Lexia3 interfaces (round socket), since I have one with 20 pins and addo has one with 22 pins - another thing to investigate, if I understand correctly.
I agree the final step maybe to reconfigure to a later style socket in the car, but I haven't given up on my first idea yet :-D

I think we need the Lexia part SF04 (around 15 euros, 12 USD), what most people appear to sell in Europe is SF05. I have emailed one of the suppliers to ask how many active connectors there are in the brown socket. If it has 20 or more we may be looking at being able to talk to all ECUs :-D

I'll keep the topic updated with my findings.

Now I need to find if we can get a 22 pin interface like ado's.

GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta