tuning box/chip.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

tuning box/chip.

Post by daviemck2006 »

I'm considering a tuning box for the c5. Can get them for 55 quid off the bay, or could pay way over 100 quid for one. The cheaper one claims to increase power from 138 to 163/5, and torque by about 50, and an increase in mpg of about 3. I'm not wanting it for the power, but the mpg gains. I'm wondering what the difference between the cheap to expensive would be. Also do they really make the car more driveable and economical? Are they engine specific, would the same one do say a 2.0 hdi 90, and also swap to my 2.0 16v 138? Once upon a time i would have just got one and tried it, but now I have to watch the pennies and want to make sure it's worth getting one.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: tuning box/chip.

Post by vborovic »

In theory, the more expensive ones have better maps (more stable) and have more processing power, which enables them to be more in sync with the engine and the driving style/requirements from the driver ... I'm actually thinking of getting one for my car, in due time, and the cost is around 400 GBP ... quality remap is around double that price tag, but the chip is easily swappable, while remaps need to be done again if you want the car to be back to the old mode ... there are custom boxes that give you better mpg, but basically what they do is reduce the engine strength (taxi drivers and city delivery usually have gain from such equipment) ... I guess it is really on a car per car basis and the driving style of the driver ... the performance gain must exists, but will the mpg actually rise or drop, its kind of hard to expect to gain 10-20% more power with less fuel consumption, right? They are engine specific, because each engine has its default to which a mapped one is based and modified ... getting the wrong one might actually do some damage to the engine ...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

daviemck2006 wrote:I'm considering a tuning box for the c5. Can get them for 55 quid off the bay, or could pay way over 100 quid for one. The cheaper one claims to increase power from 138 to 163/5, and torque by about 50, and an increase in mpg of about 3. I'm not wanting it for the power, but the mpg gains. I'm wondering what the difference between the cheap to expensive would be. Also do they really make the car more driveable and economical? Are they engine specific, would the same one do say a 2.0 hdi 90, and also swap to my 2.0 16v 138? Once upon a time i would have just got one and tried it, but now I have to watch the pennies and want to make sure it's worth getting one.
I've had them on the Berlingo, Xantia 110 and C5 110 Davie. They're engine specific (and fuel system specific). They give a decent increase in power. The Berlingo went from 89BHP up to 106BHP, and from 180 to 205NM of torque. That was a simply £80 one from tdi-tuning.co.uk. Those figures were from a rolling road down near Camberley we went to a couple of years ago with something else and stuck the Berlingo on it for a laugh, with and without the box.

Economy? I wouldn't buy one for economy. I *did* get better mpg on a cruise out of it, about 5 mpg better and slightly better around town, only 3 mpg though on the two tanks I checked, when driving gently. Of course, the extra grunt makes me drive it harder, and use more fuel. I've driven a properly remapped 90 HDi Berlingo with 135bhp and it's a completely different beast to one with a box.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I think I would be like you mike. I normally drive quite gently with an occasional thrash to clear the DPF. I think if I had the e training power and torque I would use it just because I could. Then no er performance would not equate to more mpg. I am quite happy with the power and torque of the car, could only think I would need more if I were towing, which I can't really see happening.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I fitted one to my 2.2 Hdi C5, it certainly improved the performance but had no effect on fuel consumption so I took it off, sold the car and bought a 2.0., that was much better.

Peter
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I'm surprised the usual suspects haven't come to say there's no way you can get more economy out of something if it's giving more power and injecting more fuel... well, the box allowed me to use a higher gear and lower revs, so that's how it aided economy.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Peter.N. wrote:I fitted one to my 2.2 Hdi C5

Peter
I've heard so many people complain about the 2.2 C5 HDi Series 1, that I actually want one now! I'm strange like that..
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

northern_mike wrote:

Peter
I've heard so many people complain about the 2.2 C5 HDi Series 1, that I actually want one now! I'm strange like that..
It was only a matter of time Mike :twisted:
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

northern_mike wrote:

Peter
There are currently 39 of them on e-bay!;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cars-Motorcyc ... C5+2.2+HDi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
northern_mike wrote:

Peter
There are currently 39 of them on e-bay!;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cars-Motorcyc ... C5+2.2+HDi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And at those hilarious prices, they can stay there!
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

I absolutely loved my first c5. Never really needed a thing doing to it for 3 years and over 60k. That was from 50k to 110k. I really should have kept it forever. It was a 2.2 SX on an 03 plate.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

James wrote:There are currently 39 of them on e-bay!;

Northern_Mike wrote:And at those hilarious prices, they can stay there!
Some of these prices are really funny, considering I paid less than a grand for an 07 with 108K.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Mine was reliable enough and nice to drive but I couldn't live with the fuel consumption. The improved economy comes from the cars ability to pull harder in higher gears thus reducing the revs but of course if you are using the extra power. I was already changing up as soon as I could and driving very gently so the increase in torque was of no benefit because I wasn't using it.

Peter
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

I'm kind of rejecting the idea. The extra power and torque won't make a bit of difference to me, I'm rarely above 2000 revs except when doing a DPF session, and I'm averaging 50 to 53 mpg and can't really see that getting better. So therfore I think I won't bother with a chip. Unless it's fried and comes with 100 of its pals and a nice battered haddock!!!!!!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

My sentiments exactly.

Peter