EGR Blank - C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LEEHUMP1
My Cars:

EGR Blank - C5

Post by LEEHUMP1 »

I own a 2003 C5 Hdi 2.0 110 bhp.

If I blank the EGR valve will it throw an engine light?

If it doesn't where can I buy one because I can't seem to find one on ebay which will fit?

Regards, Lee.
2003 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi estate
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: EGR Blank - C5

Post by wheeler »

You won't get any problems blanking the EGR on this car. As for the blank just use a piece of sheet metal & draw round the valve as a template & cut to fit, then drill the 2 holes for the bolts, the old gasket also makes a good template for this.
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

wheeler wrote:You won't get any problems blanking the EGR on this car.
Other than the fact that doing this is technically illegal and will turn your car into a veritable nitrogen oxide factory!

That so many people are bypassing systems designed to reduce nitrogen oxide levels is one of the main reasons all diesels in places such as London may have an additional pollution tax levied on them.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Bob L'eponge wrote:
That so many people are bypassing systems designed to reduce nitrogen oxide levels is one of the main reasons all diesels in places such as London may have an additional pollution tax levied on them.
What a load of nonsense. I'm sorry, but to blame people who blank EGRs and map-out DPFs, not that there are many, is completely disingenuous when London is a filthy stinking hole, nearly all of it's buses (all 7500 of them) are diesel powered, all of it's Black cabs are diesel powered.

London was a filthy stinking smog-ridden hole long before diesel cars came along. I'd suggest a)Boris learns a bit of history, and b)His proposed tax is simply to rip off more tax from diesel car owners, who don't use as much fuel.
LEEHUMP1
My Cars:

Post by LEEHUMP1 »

I will blank it then. I was only concerned if it was going to throw an engine light. I have blanked many cars in the past and the system is only there so car manufacturers could comply with EU regs. If they designed a system which actually worked people wouldn't' blank them (just search google for threads on faulty EGR valves). A metal blank costs a couple of quid. A new EGR valve when (not if) it breaks or gets full of soot is hundreds. Ta. Lee.
2003 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi estate
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

LEEHUMP1 wrote:I will blank it then. I was only concerned if it was going to throw an engine light. I have blanked many cars in the past and the system is only there so car manufacturers could comply with EU regs. If they designed a system which actually worked people wouldn't' blank them (just search google for threads on faulty EGR valves). A metal blank costs a couple of quid. A new EGR valve when (not if) it breaks or gets full of soot is hundreds. Ta. Lee.
To be honest, I wouldn't bother. These 2.0HDi motors don't have a reputation for sooting them up. I've had 3 of them now , one for the last 4 years and it's perfectly ok. I did blank the one on my C5 2.0HDi for a while (well, I didn't blank it, just removed and capped the vacuum pipe to it) and it actually made the economy worse, and it wasn't as pleasant to drive.
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

northern_mike wrote: to blame people who blank EGRs and map-out DPFs, not that there are many, is completely disingenuous when London is a filthy stinking hole, nearly all of it's buses (all 7500 of them) are diesel powered, all of it's Black cabs are diesel powered.

London was a filthy stinking smog-ridden hole long before diesel cars came along. I'd suggest a)Boris learns a bit of history, and b)His proposed tax is simply to rip off more tax from diesel car owners, who don't use as much fuel.
But commercial vehicles such as buses and trucks have been cleaned up vastly in recent years, what with the introduction of Euro IV compliant vehicles and so forth. All buses used in London are now at least Euro II compliant and are fitted with particulate filters.

Also, as a diesel engine always runs with excess oxygen, if the EGR system is blanked off it WILL produce a large amount of Nitrogen Dioxide. The fact that other vehicles also are polluters in no way makes it acceptable to change one's own vehicle in a way that will cause it to produce a higher level of pollution. Personally, I will be ensuring that the next diesel car I buy will also be fitted with an Adblue system to further reduce nitrogen dioxide, as many VW cars already have fitted and which are standard on most HGV's. After all, what right do I have to impose my pollution on others, especially given that the pollution from untreated diesel engines has been proven to have an adverse effect on people's health?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If anyone is interested there is a somewhat parallel thread on autoshite that causes me some embarrassment, being a serial polluter, seemingly.
I have always patted myself on the back as my C5s and all other's I have seen don't smoke, compared to Ford, Vauxhall and VAG diesels.
It isn't always what you can see that is the problem though.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Bob L'eponge wrote: Personally, I will be ensuring that the next diesel car I buy will also be fitted with an Adblue system to further reduce nitrogen dioxide,
As research suggests the NHS spends 10 times the amount on treating diesel-fume related conditions than on petrol conditions, and the fact that diesel fumes are much worse - even with the DPF/FAP/adblue/the latest thing that make you think you are being green, systems fitted, I'll not be buying a diesel car at all. My dad's 180bhp petrol Merc will return over 40mpg driven sensibly, and smaller petrol engined cars will do much more than that. The solution is simply not to buy diesel.

As for buses being Euro IV compliant, that's nothing special. It's still 40% of the pollutants a non-compliant bus chucks out and that's quite a lot.

If you're that bothered about imposing your pollution on others, I expect you'll be stopping using electricity, anything containing oil, gas,...
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

May well be getting a C4 Cactus soon, and personally wouldn't even consider a diesel, the 3 cyl petrol engine is a gem.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I think you're right Lighty. I'll not have another diesel after the Berlingo goes. My missus loves it though! I might have to get her an M59 petrol 1.6 version.

I'm just a grumpy Northern git.
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

northern_mike wrote: diesel fumes are much worse - even with the DPF/FAP/adblue/the latest thing that make you think you are being green, systems fitted, I'll not be buying a diesel car at all. My dad's 180bhp petrol Merc will return over 40mpg driven sensibly, and smaller petrol engined cars will do much more than that. The solution is simply not to buy diesel.
Things are not quite as simple as that. For example, petrol engines emit more hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide than a diesel engine, especially during their longer warm up period.

Most importantly, the 'new generation' direct injection petrol engines currently produce around ten times more particulates than a FAP equipped diesel car (and many times more particulates than earlier petrol injection engines) and due to their smaller size these particulates may be even more damaging to health than those from diesel engines. Consequently, whilst all new diesels already meet Euro 6C standards, no direct injection petrol cars do, with the Citroen 'PureTech' petrol engines used in models such as the Cactus (along with those produced by BMW and Mercedes) being good examples of the new generation of lower CO2 / higher (much higher...) particulate emissions petrol engines.

Bottom line is to choose a vehicle that has the most up to date emission control possible, avoiding direct injection petrol engines until they are fitted with FAP systems and let the emission control technology fitted to do its job, rather than disconnecting it :wink:

Although no internal combustion engine can truly be thought of a genuinely 'green', the 'cleanest' currently available engine is probably a latest generation diesel equipped with both FAP and Adblue technology.

As to not using electricity, I think the main point here is that any pollution produced by the generation of electricity is not directly pumped directly into the air along the streets where we live and our kids walk and play, unlike that from cars!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Dirty Diesels by Boris :(