c5 tailgate nuisance

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stevepar
New User
My Cars:

c5 tailgate nuisance

Post by Stevepar »

hello everyone I have a c5 estate 2 litre hdi diesel recently the upper glass part of tailgate keeps popping open.any ideas please steve
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: c5 tailgate nuisance

Post by qprdude »

cant help mate but you probably need say the year or phase of your car.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It has an electromagnetic catch so it could be an electrical problem, most of them don't open at all so you're lucky :-D If its a mechanical problem you will only find it by examining the mechanism. The window can be out of alignment so check that its central in the tailgate - this is assuming that its an early car.

Peter
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Mine used to do this in really cold weather.
Turned out to be chafed wiring at the hinge.
LEEHUMP1
My Cars:

Post by LEEHUMP1 »

Just bought my C5 estate (03 plate) and the tailgate window seems to have a mind of its own. It normally doesn't work when you press the button by the rear wiper but every now and again when you open the whole boot the tailgate window opens as well! I have taken the whole assembly apart and can see how it should work and I can see somebody in the past has put a new wire in which runs down the inside of the window which is hidden when the tailgate window is closed which would indicate problems in the past which are still there. Mine is definitely electrical related as all the mechanics seem to work ok. It must be a dodgy connection somewhere but it's not worth trying to fix on a cheap car......
2003 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi estate
Stevepar
New User
My Cars:

Post by Stevepar »

many thanks for all the replies in resonse to ricks advice the car is a 54 registered c5 estate with mk2 front end 2litr 16v vtr
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Can't agree with that mate. If it's there it should work. Hate to have anything on my car not working as it should. Drives me bleeding mad if I can't fix it or get it fixed.
Rick.

qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Stevepar wrote:many thanks for all the replies in resonse to ricks advice the car is a 54 registered c5 estate with mk2 front end 2litr 16v vtr
Steve, you could go to "you're profile", and put your car in your signature so that in the unlikely event that you have any further problems with it, everyone will know what motor you have.
Makes it easy for the experts to lend a hand :wink:
Rick.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

LEEHUMP1 wrote:Just bought my C5 estate (03 plate) and the tailgate window seems to have a mind of its own. It normally doesn't work when you press the button by the rear wiper but every now and again when you open the whole boot the tailgate window opens as well! I have taken the whole assembly apart and can see how it should work and I can see somebody in the past has put a new wire in which runs down the inside of the window which is hidden when the tailgate window is closed which would indicate problems in the past which are still there. Mine is definitely electrical related as all the mechanics seem to work ok. It must be a dodgy connection somewhere but it's not worth trying to fix on a cheap car......
I had the same thing and as with it opening spuriously it was a broken wire in the hinge - had been subject to a previous repair.
Just nicely got it fixed and the switch broke, then my son had a bit of an accident with the car and destroyed the tailgate completely :(