ACCESSING XANTIA IGNITION SWITCH

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PeterMann
My Cars:

ACCESSING XANTIA IGNITION SWITCH

Post by PeterMann »

Am intending to install a relay to shunt current past the vulnerable switching contacts in the ignition switch.
Having removed 2 "security head" screws from the bottom of the plastic shroud that encloses the ignition switch, I have found
the application of moderate manipulative force does not induce separation.
Are there extra catches, or a secret handshake ? Brute force ?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Don't you have to take the steering wheel off?
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

This is from memory which is not very good these days,on my car (1996 SXTD) I removed the steering wheel (taking the necessary precautions with the air bag),remove the screws from the top shroud. the top shroud has now to be prised up on the right hand side, it has a sort of plastic clip going into the bottom shroud, when the top shroud is off you can see a further screw in the socket part of the clip, this screw has to be removed along with the other screws in the bottom shroud to allow removal of the bottom shroud.
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

Say it again, please, acrowot:
!!!!!!Taking the necessary precautions with the airbag!!!!!!
Those things can kill ya at close quarters. Don't try and cut corners please. Do it properly. Funerals depress me.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Why not put the relay under the bonnet? you only need to use the wire to the solenoid as the switching wire to the relay and pick up the live feed from a battery terminal (with a suitable inline fuse) saves risking the airbag thing.
Stewart
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

The removal of the airbag is fully described in the Haynes Manual, you need to disconnect the battery and the have a cup of tea,( just leave disconnected for at least 10mins before continuing, this deactivates the bag).You now need to turn the wheel to expose the holes on the back steering wheel boss, these holes are covered with a rubber membrane, through these holes you have access to the two securind screws, when these two bolts are unscrewed you can remove the bag (be careful at this point the ECU is connected to a ribbon cable and it needs to be unplugged, just ease out the bag until you can see this plug and disconnect it). When the bag is removed you will see another ribbon cable attached to the steering wheel radio controls, this has to be disconnected also. You now need to undo the nut in the center of the steering wheel that holds the wheel on(DO NOT FULLY REMOVE THIS NUT AT THIS POINT)you now need to free the steering wheel so that it will come off, this requires quite a bit of effort and if the nut is completely removed the wheel will come off with a jerk and can snap the two connectors from the ribbon cables(don't ask how I know).Once the wheel is loose remove the nut and carefully feed the ribbon cable through the wheel as you remove it. This job sounds complicated but in reality it is quite simple, the first time is always the worst (takes longer). If I had to do this job again I would estimate 5mins to do it plus the 10min.wait for the bag to deactivate.Don't forget you will need your Radio Code if you do this job. Good Luck.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Touch a good earth point to drain any static in your body before going near the bag connector, don't rub your hands on your clothing, that will generate more static, stay well to the side of the wheel at arms length while doing the biz, then if it goes bang, you wont[:D]
Dave