Wonky Xantia speedo

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroenCrazy
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2000 Xantia Estate Exclusive, HDi
1999 Xantia Estate Exclusive, HDi,
C6 2.2 Manual
They're the modern ones.....

Wonky Xantia speedo

Post by CitroenCrazy »

Hi All

Has anyone ever encountered a speedo failure on a Xantia, in which the needle is stuck right over on the end stop, ie 150 mph when it's standing still ?

This happened between taking the instrument cluster out, when dismantling the dash to replace the heater matrix, and putting it all back together again. It was fine at the start & wonky when it all went back together.
Now, I have to own up and say that the elapsed time between the two was a couple of months (my attention span is short.........), but it sat it a warm, dry corner of my study in the meantime. It hasn't been dropped or mishandled in any way.

I took the car for a drive, hoping it would fix itself, but no luck so far.

Everything else works fine. The fact it's the same ignition on or off makes me think it's a mechanical problem rather than an electrical one.

Anyone got a spare speedo ?

PS I've done a 16 page "how to" guide on the matrix swap itself. I'd appreciate some peer review, so if you're interested, PM me with your email address & I'll send a copy (8 Mb, inc photos).
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Re: Wonky Xantia speedo

Post by sparksie »

Hi CitroenCrazy

Not Citroen specific, because I've never had any dealings with Citroen instruments, but it's common for electronic instruments to go "overcenter" when being moved around. This results in the needle ending up at the max stop pin, if fitted, or on the wrong side of the min stop pin, next time power is applied (ie next time ignition is turned on) and the gauge takes the shortest route to zero.
You can sometimes pull the needle around with a magnet, but if that doesn't work, you'll need to take it out again and play around with it, to see what moves the needle.
It may be simply turning it upside down, or it may need some twisting, or shaking in a controlled manner. They're all different, so you'll need to figure out what works for the Xantia one, though it will be something you've already done, so its unlikely to be anything violent.
No doubt somebody who's already done it will be along shortly
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

This is quite common with Xantia instruments, I'm sure CitroJim will be along at 3:52am to answer you and tell you exactly how to get it back. It's a well known issue though. I think you'll have to take the pod out again though..
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

I think its an easy fix. Its just that you tilted the speedo when installing it and the needle can't get back again. Short of rotating the car on one of these.
http://www.cjautos.eu/NBN_CHASSIS_TILTE ... p/ct05.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :-0
I've heard that you can move it back using a very thin wire through the Zero ing pin hole.
Hope this works.
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Pull the rubber off the odometer reset button as c.morewood says, then use a long stiff wire to knock the needle back into position.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
xantos
My Cars: Xantia 1.9TD Break non-hydractive (1999)
Xantia 3.0 V6 Activa (1998)
C4 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mk2 (2010)

Post by xantos »

On mine I have tried pulling it back with a wire but didn't work. Had to change the whole panel.

But mine jumped to 40km/h on ignition and then back to zero on stop...
Xantia Break 1.9TD (jammed b****!)
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT + LPG (1998) (peeing b****!) RIP
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT (1998) (burnt b****!)
Xantia Activa 3.0 V6 (1998) (not a b****! yet :-D )
C4 Exclusive 2.0 HDi (gear shifting b****!)
CitroenCrazy
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2000 Xantia Estate Exclusive, HDi
1999 Xantia Estate Exclusive, HDi,
C6 2.2 Manual
They're the modern ones.....

Post by CitroenCrazy »

woo hoo, easy fix.
Luckily, I'd stopped reassembling everything once I realised what had happened, so it was only 20 minutes or so to remove the instrument cluster, rotate it to let the speedo needle fall back under gravity & put it all back together. Working fine now.

Thanks all.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Memo to self: put note with spare instrument cluster "Make sure that speedo needle is on zero stop before installing. If not, rotate entire unit to make needle to return to zero under gravity." It's currently stored face down in bubble-wrap.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)