Xsara engine temperature

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Epzilon
New User

Xsara engine temperature

Post by Epzilon »

Hi all

I just bought my Citroen #2 today, a Xsara 2003, and on the way home I noticed that the engine is not getting to 90 degree.

This is the nature of the car's temperature - when I drive in the 30 zone, I get 90 degree, in 45-60 I get 80-82 degree, in the 90+ zone I get 75-80. When it run idle it can get up to 90, then the fan kicks in and push it down to 84-86.

The seller has reported similar experience and said it was no problem during last winter getting heat inside the car, but I'm not so sure. I bought a Saxo 2 years earlier and the seller said the same thing (been driving with no heat during wintertime in -20 degree :p)

The timing belt has been changed about 15.000km ago, and the seller said the water pump was changed at the same time, likewise I've checked the motor oil fill cap and no mayonnaise (oil service just done too), and the cooler liquid looks fine. Not much sweating, near zero outside the engine, and no motorwash in probably a couple of years (looks dusty but fine). The cooler liquid looks about perfect too.

Is this normal?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The best thing you can do here, is to borrow or buy a pyrometer and check the actual temperatures of radiator, head, block.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Xsara engine temperature

Post by Peter.N. »

The most likely cause is the thermostat, not expensive to buy or fit, it possibly isn't closing completely allowing a small water flow all the time. When you are driving slowly there is not much air flow through the radiator so the water will get hotter, the faster you go the greater the airflow so the cooler the water gets - unless you thrash it.

Peter
Epzilon
New User

Post by Epzilon »

Well, I had the same problem with my Saxo. Trying to change the thermostat, it wasn't even there :) putting a new one inside, the car overheated.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Epzilon wrote:Well, I had the same problem with my Saxo. Trying to change the thermostat, it wasn't even there :) putting a new one inside, the car overheated.
Then either the thermostat you fitted was faulty or the wrong one, or something else was wrong with the cooling system, like a failed pump impeller or blocked radiator...

In any case on your new car I'd agree with Peter - change the thermostat because its sticking slightly open.

An easy way to confirm its the thermostat not closing properly is this:

First thing in the morning when the car has sat overnight start the engine and let it idle, put your hand on the top radiator hose near the radiator end and time how long it takes until it gets warm.

If the thermostat is working the radiator hose should stay completely cold for between 5-10 minutes (even when the temperature gauge is reading up to 60-70 degrees) then all of a sudden within about 30 seconds it will go from completely cold to very hot - this is the thermostat opening at about 80 degrees.

If the thermostat is stuck open even a small amount then the top hose will start getting warm very soon but will only gradually warm up, instead of staying cold for a long time then suddenly switching to hot.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive