2.0 hdi changing the fuel filter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

masterofinsanity
My Cars:

2.0 hdi changing the fuel filter

Post by masterofinsanity »

Hi, sorry i have searched but there seems to be no references to changing the filter, has anyone experience in changing the fuel filter on a 2.0 HDI , wanna do my C8 but the citroen service instructions seem a bit daunting, i'm worried about losing fuel everywhere and also the bleeding as i dont have the t piece pipe they suggest you use.

Has anyone changed theirs? if you can give me some faith i would appreciate it, i'm more worried the thing will go up in flames if there is spilt diesel

thanks in advance
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: 2.0 hdi changing the fuel filter

Post by citroenxm »

We will need a bit more info.. 8v? Bosch/siemans (these have an electrical plug on top) .. in middle front of the engine? .. up at the front right of the engine if its a 2.0 16v one....
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
masterofinsanity
My Cars:

jgra1 wrote:replied but abandoned reply..

:shock:
why? lol
citroenxm wrote:We will need a bit more info.. 8v? Bosch/siemans (these have an electrical plug on top) .. in middle front of the engine? .. up at the front right of the engine if its a 2.0 16v one....
2.0 hdi i believe is a 16v not sure what make but its at the front of the engine more to the right with 3 pipes and an electrical connector.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

It won't go up in flames if there''s spilt diesel, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Sounds like it could be a Siemens one.

That's the Siemens one on my Berlingo. Is it anything like that?

Anyway, to get that one off, you need something to grip the outer ring with. It's quite brittle plastic. A pair of oil filter pliers (look on eBay, I got a good set for £4) will remove it, or you can get a piece of wooden dowelling and tap it round gently using a hammer.

There's a small cupful of diesel in there. You drain it out using the drain plug near the bottom. To be honest, I didn't bother, as it started raining when I did mine. I just put a rag round the base of it, unscrewed, lifted the old filter out, plopped the new one in, put the new seal and screwed it all back together. Didn't lose much diesel.
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

As per Mike's reply above - I use same approach on mine. Filter strap, metal/ thin rubbery strap type seems best to undo and gently nip it back up. On some there's a tag to line up, but it is obvious when you've got the lid off. Yes, lots of rag around and it'll likely look cleaner afterwards than it did before. Careful with the retainer tags on the electrical connectors, they can break off. Not a huge disaster if they do though. (seen loads cable tied in place).
Give it a go.
Keep asking questions though!
ps - haven't had many go up in flames.....
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
masterofinsanity
My Cars:

Thanks, its very similar but 3 pipes coming off ifi remember right, will have a go later today
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Filter straps?! Talk about posh toys! I used two pieces of kitchen towel paper, one on each hand and undid it by hand and the same for putting it back on!

Make sure you clean the thread on the lid and body and use the new O rig as well when putting not back together.

I always drain it off as it's easier and less messy and if you feel so inclined means you can out a load of injector cleaner in there as well.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

KP wrote:Filter straps?! Talk about posh toys! I used two pieces of kitchen towel paper, one on each hand and undid it by hand and the same for putting it back on!
I tried that, I couldn't move it by hand. I think it hadn't been disturbed in "some time". I only screwed it back on by hand though.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

The 'T' piece pipe you mention is for purging any dirt contaminated diesel straight back to the tank and not via the pump/injection side once you've changed the filter. I've previously asked on here if anyone has bothered to use one before..... but only got tumbleweed blowing across my monitor as a reply so I think it's safe to assume not many people bother to use it :) You really need to make sure everything is spotlessly clean when changing the fuel filter. You can drain the filter housing before you undo the lid on it - some of the filter housings have a bleed screw on the top (to allow air in) and a drain screw (sometimes it's even still got its pipe attached !!) on the bottom, so you can drain off the diesel before you open the lid. Genuine Cit filters sometimes come with blanking caps so you can seal off the various pipes as you take them off to make sure no crud goes up the pipes. Once you open the filter lid, you may find fine bits of swarf in the bottom of the housing. Try and clean them out..... and then convince yourself it's nothing to worry about :wink:
You'll also need a container (ice cream tub sized ?) to dump the old filter straight into as it will be dripping with diesel and quite possibly make a mess everywhere.
Laser make a couple of tools to assist with undoing some Hdi fuel filters: Laser 5270 and Laser 4574. You need to make sure you get the right one for your filter housing if you're going to get one, but as other people have said, a block of wood, paper towels, filter pliers, filter strap, 2 giraffes and a fried egg, will do fine. I may have made some of those up :-D
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LASER-TOOLS-5 ... 2c687620a5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laser-4574-Fu ... 486989e34f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Monkeyfeet wrote: ps - haven't had many go up in flames.....
I once tried to get a bonfire going one bonfire night when it was raining by throwing diesel on it (I'm not stupid enough to try petrol).

It went out. Diesel seems to be about one of the most non-flammable liquids ever :roll:

I bought some of these to remove oil filters, they're very good for removing the top of the fuel filter.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOODYEAR-TOOL ... 19d0a3c3f3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Northern_Mike on 24 Jul 2014, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

northern_mike wrote: I bought some of these to remove filters, they're very good for removing the top of the fuel filter.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOODYEAR-TOOL ... 19d0a3c3f3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's what I use. The estate was easy, a hammer and a wooden dowel got it off easily.
The current one is a nightmare to shift but the plies made short work of it.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

By hand has never failed me or my old man yet :)

Draining is easy as you just pop the inlet pipe off and it allows air into the unit and fuel out of the bottom :)
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Thats because diesel doesnt burn to a flame... hence the term "Compression Ignition" rather then spark ignition.

theroy being it ignites under hot compressed air under extreamily fine sprayed application. That of course though we all know driving diesels.. and why we dont have spark plugs.. and why really dervs are safer in accidents unless the fuel sprays out onto a combustion of hot air of course..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
masterofinsanity
My Cars:

wow guys thanks soo much for all the replies and guidance, will go look for a tool methinks as just my luck i'll break it lol.
feel a lot more confident now, will tackle it today :-)
masterofinsanity
My Cars:

well got the fuel canister off the car in the end thinking it would be easier to remove the cap, but by god that cap was not moving NO WAY! so decided not to bother as the fuel i drained off was clear as a whistle.thanks anyway :-)

had a look online and can get a new canister for £45 so might do that in the near future.