Xantia noise at front right

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andy hannett
My Cars:

Xantia noise at front right

Post by andy hannett »

i have recently noticed a speed related noise from the front drivers side of the vehicle when turning slightly to the left.
the noise is very reminiscent of a sick petrol station compressor and sometimes causes a vibration in the steering wheel.
as this noise is coming from near the alternator, i think that it may be the hydraulic pump or possibly something to do with the steering rack assembly.
has anyone had a similar problem, if so some advice would be helpfull.
Many thanks
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

If it is the Alternator, the noise should be present all the time. Check the boots on the universal joints(beside the wheel)it may be split.
david webzell
My Cars:

Post by david webzell »

[quote]
i have recently noticed a speed related noise from the front drivers side of the vehicle when turning slightly to the left.
the noise is very reminiscent of a sick petrol station compressor and sometimes causes a vibration in the steering wheel.
as this noise is coming from near the alternator, i think that it may be the hydraulic pump or possibly something to do with the steering rack assembly.
has anyone had a similar problem, if so some advice would be helpfull.
Many thanks

[/quote) If your Xantia has ABS you could also check to see if the wheel bearing is worn and the ABS sensor is rubbing.
andy hannett
My Cars:

Post by andy hannett »

thanks david
my xantia does have ABS and the sensor is slightly worn but the dealer assured me the wheel bearings are OK during recent MOT. i have come to the conclusion that the drive shaft is on its way out, though its funny that it is only intermittent.
Many thanks