anyone use dipetane

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

morto
My Cars: Citroen c5 , Audi A3 S line TDI

anyone use dipetane

Post by morto »

my 2.2hdi has failed the emmissions and been told to put a litre of https://www.dipetane.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in to half a tank of diesel and give it na good blast,, can anyone tell me what a pass on emissions is on a 2.2hdi
2002 2.2hdi C5
citronut
My Cars:

Re: anyone use dipetane

Post by citronut »

i personally would just take the car for a good hard drive and get the engine really hot before taking it to the MOT/re/test, then ask the tester if they could do the emmissions,

also get to the test station very close to the booked time as possible, and leave the engine running,

i cant remember the last time i mine or my customers diesels fail on emmissions,

all i do on route to the MOT is mind there is no traffic behind me, then stick it in second gear and floor it for a few second blasts 2 or 3 times
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

What looks like smoke on test is very often accumulated soot, give it a good blast on the way to the MOT as Malcolm says and it should blow most of it out.

Peter
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Work at mot station and only a hand full in 7 years have ever failed. You must be unlucky, treat it to some nice shell fuel and something like forte diesel treatment.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

At the heart of Dipetane’s ability to increase fuel economy 10% to 15% is its more efficient and complete fuel burn. The result is increased energy release and a longer, more powerful expansion in the combustion chamber.

Very fancy website, but absolute nonsense.
Fully-synthetic snake oil.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The topic of this thread looks most dodgy :lol: Sounds like an illegal drug...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Instantly I thought of Petomane...
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Yes, throw in a litre into a half tank of fuel, give it a drive and the smoke test will not be a problem. I don't know about the fancy stuff but Dipetane would even get a coal burning engine through the smoke test.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

9 out of 10 diesels will get through there emissions test by just getting them thoroughly up to temperature before the test
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:9 out of 10 diesels will get through there emissions test by just getting them thoroughly up to temperature before the test
And the tenth failed because its cambelt snapped during the test....

:lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

citronut wrote:9 out of 10 diesels will get through there emissions test by just getting them thoroughly up to temperature before the test
Sorry, but I beg to differ. In my experience, with a turbo-diesel it's important to get the turbo up to temperature and speed otherwise, when the tester revs the engine, accumulated soot may the blast of hot exhaust gas may burn/blast a load of soot off the turbine blades. Quality fuel, like Shell, refined and blended for efficiency and engine longevity will help keep the engine cleaner, but a gently driven diesel that doesn't get really hot will inevitably accumulate carbon. As others have advised, a quick blast will dislodge and burn off the carbon before the tester does!

Years ago when my son and I used to tow our dinghy behind a Montego TD at a gentle and legal 60 down the M5 to Devon, a second or two after I floored the throttle at the bottom of Halden Hill, the traffic behind would vanish in a giant 'puff' of grey smoke as the last hundred mile's worth of soot on the turbine caught fire! A bit anti-social but unavoidable. This never happened in normal daily business use the car was always driven hard - time is money. The Xantia doesn't do this despite having no 'emmissions add-ons' (and it's never yet failed on emmissions).
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

I've never used it, or indeed any fuel additive, personally.
However, some of my customers have and I'd guess they're roughly 50/50 split as to whether there's any benefit.
The striking thing with Dipetane, as opposed to eg Redex, is the opinions are vehement. It's either liquid platinum, or coloured water, depending on who you ask, but never anything in between!
I'm always wary about anything that goes in either the fuel or the lube. Do you really want to mess with the formulation of either, when you consider the megabucks that get spent on developing them?
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Filberton

Post by Filberton »

Don't forget the other obvious of a nice clean air filter. £5 spent before the test can be money well spent. :)
Current: C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDI Manual (2008)
C3 Puretech 1.2 Feel (2017)

Previous: Citroen C5 mk1 2.0 HDI,
Peugeots 407, 406, 406,205,309, 306 Meridian, 306 L, Peugeot 207L 1.4 manual (2003)
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I have yet to fail a diesel at an MOT I've taken one to.

I do a few simple things during my ownership.

1. Run on veggie oil(only certain vehicles can do this without issue!)
2. Give it a thrash once a month or less depending on how I feel.
3. Wash the exhaust out every few months.

Now 3 causes some laughter and so forth but as I tend to do most of my journeys at 55-65mph steadily on the motorway for 90% or more of my journeys it does seem to help a good bit.

Now I drive an xm estate so the exhaust tract is probably the same length as your c5 2.2hdi.

I simply park the car facing downhill with the suspension on high and with the engine off set it to low. This causes the front to drop but not the rear(your c5 won't do this!) I then squirt up a bit of fairy liquid into the tailpipe then use the hose to gently fill the exhaust with water. And I don't mean at full water pressure but more like 1/3-1/2 pressure. When it starts pouring back out I stop. I then leave it over night. It seems to work great as I do this as the last stage of washing the car so the engine is warm-ish from running during washing to raise and lower the car.

In the morning I hop in the car and before I do anything else I start the engine after a double glow plug warm. When the engine starts I don't rev it but let it idle for a few moments to flush as much water out as possible. Now wig an older citroen this can take a minute as I let it fully settle the suspension and put my seat belt on, plug my phone into the radio and get ready to go.
The amount of crud that comes out is always really disgusting, Especially if it's never been done!

Give it a try and see if it helps, but note this i still do Italian tune ups on the cars and at this time of year a nice hot exhaust is good. Like those self cleaning ovens that get red hot to clean themselves, the exhaust and engine are the same!!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

My XM estates have always passed, I just hammer them down the Crewkerne road on the way to the garage.

Peter