C4 fault code P1694:Controlled engine stop & start short

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

martinwiseman2000

C4 fault code P1694:Controlled engine stop & start short

Post by martinwiseman2000 »

Hi,

My wife's C4 (1.6 petrol, 55 reg) won't start. Initially it cranked healthily but wouldn't start, subsequently it only cranks for a second or two and then stops.

Lexia is reporting fault code P1694:
Permanent fault
Controlled engine stop and start (DAMP) short circuit to earth.

If I clear the fault; the the first time I try to start it it cranks continually but won't fire, subsequent attempts are back to only cranking for a second or two before automatically stopping. Needless to say the fault reappears in the log.

As far as I am aware this car is not fitted with the sort of stop/start system which stops the engine when you pull up to a junction and restarts it automatically when you pull away - if it is fitted we've never seen it function.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what this is referring to. I understand "short circuit" but cannot relate "controlled engine stop and start" to anything I know about modern fuel injected petrol engines.

Many thanks,
Martin Wiseman
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Re: C4 fault code P1694:Controlled engine stop & start short

Post by Trainman »

Martin, have a chat with the guys at http://www.c4owners.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they are just as helpful as the chaps on here, but they know the C4 inside out.
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
martinwiseman2000

Post by martinwiseman2000 »

Thanks for the suggestion to try the C4 forum. I never actually got round to it as I managed to fix the problem myself, however I'll certainly remember them next time.

Having Googled P1694 I found lots of people asking much the same question but no answers, so I thought I'd record the solution as it was not obvious from the fault description.

It turned out that the crank sensor was open circuit.

The description of P1694 is misleading, I assume the ECU was commanding the starter motor to run, not seeing any engine revolution (due to the faulty sensor) and assuming that the fault must be the starter motor and not the cranks sensor.

Martin.
Sakhe_M
My Cars: Citroen C4 1.6 2007

Post by Sakhe_M »

My vehicle has the same error code, so you saying the problem is most likely to be the starter and not the crank sensor?