Air con noise HDI

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

Air con noise HDI

Post by isisalar »

Hi guys
As per usual, having climbed a big hill with the HDI the last few weeks, today a new problem surfaces to keep me on my toes and no doubt empty my wallet.
This morning I could hear a sort of whining noise which I first thought was the fan bearing gone. However, it seems to be related to engine speed and starts and stops a few seconds after the air con has been turned on or off so I'm guessing that's where the problem lies. I've not topped up the aircon as it works(ish) although it's not ice cold.
Any suggestions please?
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Air con noise HDI

Post by RichardW »

If not the fan(s) then it could be the AC comp, belt tensioner, or crank pulley. Have a listen with your stethoscope (aka long extension or breaker bar pressed to your ear!) at each of the bits to see if you can hear where it coming from - it will be quite obvious when you get the right part!
Richard W
isisalar
My Cars:

Re: Air con noise HDI

Post by isisalar »

Thanks for the interest Richard, in the event, after a bit of research, advice from BL autos and a bit of luck it would seem that the nut on the pipe going into the sight glass thing had become loose, this had leaked most of the fluid/lubricant out, which was making the compressor noisy. After I posted I realized the cooling effect had stopped too.
Having decided that a re charge was needed, then the fun began.
Kwik fit and their cartel partners seem to have set the price locally at £50, Halfords offer a £40 service, even the mobile outfits were wanting £60-70.
Knowing that one of the local secret Kwik fits had one of the idiot proof machines I decided to risk it there. The loose nut was discovered whilst searching for the fill points. When they discovered they were underneath and would need the undertray removing to access there was much teeth sucking and mutterings about extra labour charges. I pointed out that I had removed and re fitted this evil undertray in less than 10 minutes the previous week, with the car on stands, but it was all too much for them, so I left.
Halford's techie had a broken arm until Friday!
Finally found these people to do it for £39 http://www.f1autocentres.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, not frightened of undertrays or of getting the car on a ramp. They use a professional machine which ensures exactly the correct amount fluid is used and vacuum check for leaks. Unlike Halfords who use an aerosol.
I now have ice cold, quiet, air con. just in time for a 2 week holiday.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
John Plum
My Cars:

Air con noise HDI

Post by John Plum »

Must be lovely :-)

Sent from a mobile transmitter.
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual