2cv gear change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jonnycake
New User

2cv gear change

Post by jonnycake »

Back finally in the 2cv fold but my recently acquired 2cv 1986 red and white Dolly (mileage is just a guess but believe it had a new gear box in last 3 years or so) has developed a flappy gear change! There is about 6 inches of movement in stick when in gear. It is basically a guess where each gear is and difficult to know if you are neutral.4th gear and reverse gear positions are almost impossibly to differentiate. Having said this when you do find the appropriate gear change position the gear box seems fine. It is just the change itself which is looser than the bit of change left in my pocket after buying it (midlife crisis) . Gear change fine up to now but my son took it for a long drive and has been a problem since then though of course he denies all knowledge!! Would be grateful for any indication of what it is. Would be even more grateful if someone told me that it was a nice simple and cheap problem to resolve given I am a mechanical oaf and broke.Here,s hoping.
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Re: 2cv gear change

Post by Richard_C »

It's decades since I had a 2cv, and I'm sure someone more expert will be along soon.

A starting point,if you haven't done it already, is to open the bonnet and look at the linkage. Get someone to change gear from within the car and see if the slack is simply the linkage, which is dead simple, or if it's in the box itself.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
citronut
My Cars:

Re: 2cv gear change

Post by citronut »

as Richard says,

all the visible linkage is is a very short plate of steel with a hole at each end fitted with a grommet in each hole,

the grommets tend to break up in time, or the rubber bush's in the gear stick guide tube have disintegrated/worn out,

if both the above are ok you need to speak to

Rick Pembro of

http://www.gearbox-guru.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

what he dosent know about the dersh gear box aint worth knowing
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years