ZX L/H Driveshaft & Balljoint

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Andrew Robey
My Cars:

ZX L/H Driveshaft & Balljoint

Post by Andrew Robey »

Really need some help here please!!!
Attempting to replace the L/H balljoint as per Haynes instructions - and not going to plan. To start with disengaging the ball joint from the swivel joint was neigh on impossible with only one wheel jacked up. Something to do with the angle enforced by the anti-roll bar I think. Neverless, managed to part the two eventually and went in for a breather, only to return and find my gearbox oil all over the garage foor! The driveshaft had slipped partially out from the transmission without the balljoint holding it in.
Is this normal??!
With the new balljoint fitted, am I now going to suffer oilleaks from the driveshaft oilseal?
Is the 1/4 inch thick balljoint mount casting really the only thing holding me driveshafts in and my wheels together??!
Please come to my aid here - I'm new to this French car business![xx(]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Andy -
The PSA gearboxes have the gearoil right behind the axles in the diff.
If the axle is allowed to move out - then the oil finds it's way out - as pr Newton's law [;)]
And YES - the lower balljoint is the only means of controlling the front wheel by the lower control arm.
That's also why it's important this lower balljoint is in perfect condition [}:)]
I think your reading of Haynes could be a bit hasty ?
- as I'm aware of exactly the gearoil point is noticed in the instructions given here.
It's a real mess - but no catastrophic event.
As the PSA gearboxes does not have any oil level dipstick - you'd usually have to drain ALL the gear oil - to ensure/control the correct amount is filled in again.
I'm sure you've noticed a drain plug on the bottom/rear of the diff housing - drain the remaining oil from here.
On the LHS end housing of the box - you should have a filler/level plug - recognised as the ONLY large FLAT bolthead - with a CU/ALU-washer under.
If no plug found - then you have a (plastic) vent plug or reversing lights switch on top of the box as filler plug. Then find the correct amount to fill in from your owners manual.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Its normal to lose some gearbox oil when the driveshafts are removed. The instructions for topping it up afterwards are indeed in the Haynes manual (for the petrol cars at least).
As my mechanic says, gearbox oil leaks always look worse than they are due to the viscosity of the oil. (Easy to say until you think of the consequences of a seized gearbox!). It should be OK after topping up, although mine needed a new speedo drive, which must have been disturbed be the new shafts going in [:(]
Andrew Robey
My Cars:

Post by Andrew Robey »

All done now - Anders thanks - I would have spent ages looking for the filler without your help.
Beware anyone doing balljoints - what Haynes neglects to tell you is that once the ball joint is off, the driveshaft is free to pop out - hence my earlier gearbox oil trauma.
Hope this is my last weekend under the car for a while.....[:)]