Help! Engine Oil leaking/spraying

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

soitgoes

Help! Engine Oil leaking/spraying

Post by soitgoes »

After successfully diagnosing our faulty alternator and replacing it on Friday, we have another big problem with our Citroen Synergie 1.9td. Taking our kids on the A12 this morning to gymnastics class, and near the end of the 30 drive, stop light and oil light came up on dash, then went off. Happened again a little further on, so I pulled onto petrol station forecourt to investigate. Under car, A LOT of engine oil, and it was all the way to the back of the car, and the rear door was covered in oil! So, went in to buy a litre of oil, dumped it in, drove to the gym which was a few hundred metres away. Decided to car the RAC as there was so much oil leaking. Anyway, he said we would have to go on the flatbed, and seemed to think it was coming from where the bell housing met the engine? Called 2 mobile mechanics, and Citroen who all said that would be the case. They said that it could be the rear main seal?

I've tried to look as best I can to see when the leak is coming from, (it still drips when the engine is off), and although not 100% sure, it seems to be coming from around/under/behind the oil filler. I think this is the same engine as in the xantia?

If anyone could help, anything. Where to check, possible culprits. Anything. I had a mobile mechanic come out an hour ago, charged me £35 just to tell me that I had a lot of engine oil leaking! Said it would cost £150 just to find where the leak was coming from, and then parts/labour on top!

I really have to get this sorted. We have 4 kids, one of whom is disabled in a wheelchair, and has lots of appointments at Great Ormond Street coming up. Added to that a heavily pregnant wife.... well, you can imagine how I'm feeling.

Thanks and sorry if I've ranted.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Help! Engine Oil leaking/spraying

Post by CitroJim »

soitgoes wrote: Thanks and sorry if I've ranted.
No worries at all, understandable in the circumstances :evil:

The oil filler pot has a lot of rubber hoses associated with it and it's a fair bet one of these has let go. Not a difficult job to resolve although the hose clips might put up a minor fight...

The rubber goes hard over the years and it only takes a bit of disturbance to cause it to crack.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Not having much luck with it at the moment :x

Unfortunately, I had a similar oil leak on a Xantia 1.9TD that turned out to be the head gasket...... In my case it was leaking down the front of the block, and I could see it dripping off the end of the injeciton pump bracket when the engine was running. Odd that you say it still leaks when the engine is stopped, as there should be no oil pressure then, but it may continue to drip residual oil for quite a while after switch off. If it was the rear oil seal, then it would only be wet underneath. If it is leaking near / out of the top of the engine, then it has to be there somewhere. Could be the rocker gasket, but I wouldn't expect this to be a catastrophic leak.
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

RichardW wrote:Not having much luck with it at the moment :x

Unfortunately, I had a similar oil leak on a Xantia 1.9TD that turned out to be the head gasket...... In my case it was leaking down the front of the block, and I could see it dripping off the end of the injeciton pump bracket when the engine was running. Odd that you say it still leaks when the engine is stopped, as there should be no oil pressure then, but it may continue to drip residual oil for quite a while after switch off. If it was the rear oil seal, then it would only be wet underneath. If it is leaking near / out of the top of the engine, then it has to be there somewhere. Could be the rocker gasket, but I wouldn't expect this to be a catastrophic leak.
a few months back i fitted a new cam cover seal to my daughters Sunergie, which suddenly started spewing hulio everywhere,

turned out i :roll: :oops: :wink: had pinched the edge of the seal on refitting the cover, in my defence it is very difficult to get ones pinkies down the back edge of the cam cover on a 1.9TD Synergie #-o :o :-D :lol: :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
soitgoes

Post by soitgoes »

Hi,
I've been under the car today, and the leak seams to be coming somewhere at the back of the engine bay. The gear box is covered in engine oil where the drive shaft enters the gearbox. Not sure if it's leaking from there or somewhere above it, and it's dripping on to it. It does seem very wet there though. I've taken some pics.

Thanks

http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/Home_ ... sort=3&o=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Likely cam cover or vacuum pump (which is driven off the end of the camshaft) then. Could still be the head gasket, but that end is the low pressure return so less likely. Rear oil seal seems unlikely as that would tend to be coming out of the bottom of the bell housing, not over the top of the driveshaft. You'll just need to get it on ramps, clean it up as best you can, and then start it up and see where it leaks from. You should be able to see a 'tide mark' at the top, which will give you a clue to a level it is not higher than.
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i spoz it could also be the turbo feed/return
Regards, malcolm.

sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Could also possibly be the oil pressure warning switch.
These live in a high pressure gallery and can lose a spectacular amount of oil when the diaphragm goes.
Don't know anything about a Synergie, specifically, but imagine it's just a normal XUD...
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

sparksie wrote:Could also possibly be the oil pressure warning switch.
These live in a high pressure gallery and can lose a spectacular amount of oil when the diaphragm goes.
Don't know anything about a Synergie, specifically, but imagine it's just a normal XUD...
yep thats another possible
and yes it will be an XUD or at least it is in my daughters 1.9TD
Regards, malcolm.

soitgoes

Post by soitgoes »

OK, been under the car and cleaned up with brake cleaner. Seem to have found the leak. Seems to be coming form either the corner of the oil pan, or very close to it near the gearbox area. I'm rubbish at explaining things. I took video. :)

http://tinypic.com/r/13yf4x/8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I would drop the sump then ,after draining oil. Get a gallon of oil and a tube of RTV sealant, if there is no actual gasket.

Clean and scrape all surfaces. Wipe with thinners. Apply bead of silicone. Hand tighten sump bolts. Then tighten in proper spreading order with just your hand on middle of ratchet, if you have no torque wrench. That should give about 15 ft lbs.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

It might be the sump, but it seems unlikely since a) it's a big leak, and b) it came on suddenly. My money is on the rear oil seal.... :x
Richard W
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

I would go down to motor shop get a large can of Hyper clean and a paint brush give it a good brushing over then wash of so clean and see where it's coming from as if already crap there it will track along.
you could try john that is mobile that is in your area works at Edwardes and son @billericay 07860/ /298009 Edwards is 01277/651486 Baldwins lane
darbuck
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2008 Citroen C5 X7 Tourer VTR+ (138 BHP)
2007 Nissan Primera P12 1.6 T-Spec (110BHP)
2003 Citroen C5 Estate level 2 (110 BHP) 2.0 HDI
2001 Nissan Maxima QX 2.0 V6

Post by darbuck »

i d check for blown hose on turbo or a pinched metal pipe had similar problem on primera years ago turbo oil pipe dumped oil everywhere the pipe being pinched caused excessive oil pressure and kept blowing rubber oil pipe
Darren