C5 mk2 - what can be an issue to look out for ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

merlin617
My Cars:

C5 mk2 - what can be an issue to look out for ?

Post by merlin617 »

I am looking to get a C5 2.0 HDi 16V Auto 2006 (55). The budget would be stretched to get a MK3 2008 or younger. Can anyone offer advice on what to look out for or should I hold out for the 2008 model ?

Thanks
Xantia 1.8 Sensation Hatch 1999
Saxo 1.0 1999
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: C5 mk2 - what can be an issue to look out for ?

Post by daviemck2006 »

Hi I recently bought a 2007 2.0 hdi vtr. It has two problems which I believe are quite common. I have a rear radius arm bearing gone. The repair kit cost me £60, and the garage is fitting it as I think it would be a bit of a pig to do. The other is a problem with the heating. The passenger side works as it should with fan and distribution and heat or cold. The drivers side is stuck on one temperature regardless of where the control is. I think this necessitates removal of the dashboard to gain access to the heater box to replace two small motors. My one was cheap enough to account for these problems so check both sides of the heater/air con work as they should and if the rear bearings are gone the wheel leans in at the top and looks toe in.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
merlin617
My Cars:

Post by merlin617 »

Thanks Davie
Xantia 1.8 Sensation Hatch 1999
Saxo 1.0 1999
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Also dpf issues. A lot of places just jump straight in and try and map the dpf out and remove it. This can be a pig with the Siemens ecu necessitating the ecu be removed to do.

So far for my dads new one (2005, 2.0hdi 16v 138 with dpf, manual estate VTR) it has been a fuel cap sensor, clutch pedal sensor and now an inlet air temp sensor that are preventing it from running the cycle. Also it has the rear radius arm issue as well and the heater issue but on both sides. The ac also leaks but I think this is a duff condensor.
The heater flaps I'm going to tackle one at a time by cutting into the heater box as getting the dash out is just going to be too much grief and then splitting the unit. I reckon about 2hrs each side and £70 for the flaps plus some time making them stronger with fibreglass and metal rods to spread the load.

This one had all the toys bar roof, leather and parking sensors. It has nav and dual zone climate and is ultra frugal, beating the 2.2hdi it's replacing by a good bit as on a run my dad isn't even trying and getting at least 54mpg and reckons if he tried he could see 1000miles from a tank...

Ideally get someone with a lexia to check all it's Faults over for you as well, as many issues don't throw up warning lights but just log fault codes :(