Synergie Battery Light!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

soitgoes

Synergie Battery Light!

Post by soitgoes »

Hi,
new to this forum in terms of posting, but long time reader.

OK, leaving Lego Land in Windsor on Friday, and the battery light comes on as we get on the M25. Pulled onto hard shoulder, lifted bonnet, checked drive belt, decided to try to get home to Essex. Lots of Friday night traffic, but got back after 2 hours, with 4 sleepy kids, a not too happy wife, and a more than tense me!

Anyway, bought new battery Saturday morning, and checked with volt meter, and was only getting about 12.3 with engine on. Checked with negative cable off, put prong to connection on alternator, and other to positive on battery, got reading of 0.4 ohms, so guess all good there, pointing to fudged alt. Been driving the car ( needs must) and it's getting a small charge, but not much.

Sunday night, no battery light, 14.7 on meter! Then light cam back on.

Went to breakers yesterday to pick up alt. Lots of fiddling about and cut hands/arms, old alt out, new alt...... not the right part!!!!

Put old alt back in. Started car this morning to return wrong alt, no battery light, 14.1v! Smiling, thought, hmmm, should I just get my £30 back.... then battery light comes on after a few minutes :(

Now, when we bought the car, the rocker cover gasket was leaking, and the alt, when removed last night, was caked in black gunk. Tried to clean it up as best I could, but looks like copper inside still has a lot of crud on it.

I know it's looking like the alt needs changing, but is there anything else I could check? I'm in real need to get this sorted as one of our children is disabled and has lots of appointments at Great Ormond Street coming up. Any help would be great. Thank you.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Synergie Battery Light!

Post by RichardW »

Welcome!

Sounds like the alternator has given up. Unless you can find a known low mileage unit, it's probably worth going re-con which should be available for around £100 - what engine is in it?
Richard W
soitgoes

Post by soitgoes »

It's the 1.9td. Has 163000 on it.
soitgoes

Post by soitgoes »

Well, picked up a brand new alt for £130, with 12 months warranty. Fitted this morning. First time start, charging at 14.3. Long test drive. So far so good! :) Also, we thought for ages that there was a problem with the drive belt tensioner, as whenever we turn heater/ A/C on, there was a terrible screeching, which would promptly go when heater/ A/C was turned off. Anyway, thought I'd give the A/C a try on the test drive, and no noise! Must have been the old alt on the wonk for over a year! Let's hope that's it for a while. Thanks :)