207 Clutch Master Cylinder Removal / Replacement

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

207 Clutch Master Cylinder Removal / Replacement

Post by DHallworth »

Just had a call from Cheryl to say that the clutch on the 207 has gone straight to the floor.

AA man has been and diagnosed it as the seals leaking on the master cylinder.

He said it was fine to do 70 miles in from Edinburgh home as she'd be in 5th gear on the motorway however when asked how she gets to the motorway or up the country lanes at the other end he couldn't answer and has grudgingly arranged a tow truck.

I've ordered a new master cylinder (£37 for a genuine one from the dealer) but I've never changed one before.

Questions:

Does anyone know what sort of a job it is on a 207?
Where is it? Inside the car or under the bonnet?
Is it just brake fluid that you bleed them with?

Thanks

David.
Last edited by DHallworth on 03 Jul 2014, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: 207 Clutch Master Cylinder

Post by RichardW »

Never looked at one, but servicebox seems to show it on engine side of the firewall. Seems it's a not unkown problem, although Google didn't throw up a direct hit on how to replace it. I'm willing to bet it's a git though, being tucked down the back of the engine. Depending on your hand size, it might be necessary (easier?) to pull the OS shaft to get access?

Let us know how you get on!!
Richard W
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

I couldn't find anything on the internet about replacing it either unfortunately.

At least if it's on the outside of the firewall there's no chance of spilling brake fluid inside the car.

Ach well, fun and games will entail I'm sure. Just need to wait till tomorrow for the dealer to get the master cylinder in stock. I could of got an after market one today but Cheryl is staying in Edinburgh tonight so for £37 quid I thought I'd fit a genuine one.

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

im going to fit a master cylinder to a Berlingo next week, and on looking into it, it is fited to the bulkhead on a bayonet fitting, and once the pipes and pedal link are disconnected it seems it just turns a qyarter/third of a turn and pulls out
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

It's done :)

It's actually not to bad to do. Unclip it from the top of the pedal which was nice and easy then under the bonnet and you can see it poking through the bulkhead. Access was awkward so I took the top half of the air box out and moved the bottom half to one side which gave me the space I needed to work. The high pressure pipe unclipped without any problems, the low pressure one was a little awkward but nothing to complain about.

I had the whole thing changed in about 30 - 40 minutes... then the fun began.

The new master cylinder was leaking like a sieve from the high pressure outlet. So out it came again and when comparing it to the old master cylinder there was no o ring in it. I swapped the o ring to the new master cylinder and refitted it. Much to my annoyance it was still leaking like a sieve, so out it came once again. This time I put the little o ring on the end of the high pressure pipe and built everything back up again and much to my relief it was bone dry this time.

Bleeding it was a little awkward as it was a plastic bleed screw that was in an awkward to get to place that was to tight to undo by hand so I had to wriggle a 13mm spanner onto it.

However, it's done, the car is back on the road and Cheryl doesn't need to use any of my cars :)

Happy days!

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Not as bad it might have been then! I expect this is another potential job on my two, which look to use the same master cylinder. O ring is not shown separately, so it must come with the pipe.
Richard W
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Re: 207 Clutch Master Cylinder Removal / Replacement

Post by flying clutchman »

yes they do. They are the same as used on vauxhalls, fiats and fords. (probably some others as well) They often get caught in the cylinder when you pull the pipe out, or worse flick off and dissappear.