My New work snotter - ZX1.9TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

beko1987
My Cars: 2002 Xsara HDI 110

My New work snotter - ZX1.9TD

Post by beko1987 »

After googling many of the issues with my new car, 97% of the useful results came from here, so below is a copy and paste of my thread on club-XM for your viewing pleasure! I currently own 2 Citroens (for a short while hopefully!)

The XM is getting uneconomical to run, we just cant keep putting £40-50 a week in for my commute.

So, a friend and I hatched a plan where he would lend me a few quid to get a more economical car.

Some searching, and 2 week chat over email with the seller we agreed to Saturday (just gone) and went to the beach as the car wasnt far away.

A very nice ZX 1.9td! Nice history, well maintained and veg friendly! Had a slight wheel shake, but nothing more than the XM has (needs tracking). Sweet. We leave Heathfield, and head up to Tunbridge Wells to find the M20.

I easily kept up with my mate in his Octavia VRS, he did comment that he was surprised I kept to him, although we didnt go crazy as SWMBO and daughter were in tow :?

Wheel shake was getting a bit worse, so we pulled over at a services on the m25 (not Cobham, cant remember the name), and I have a quick look. Front wheels were slightly warmer than they should be, I deduced maybe a sticky caliper, and removed the wheel trims to aid cooling. Since I knew where I was by now, I said to my mate to crack on and get home, and I'll potter back so as not to exaggerate the brakes.

*I didnt think to check the wheel nuts...*

Off we trot, and they promptly loose me and I settle in at 55. Shaking suddenly gets ALOT worse. Starting to think ah crap, I pull out of the off lane at J6 into the now inside lane of the m40 and suddenly all hell breaks loose, car jumps up, theres an almighty bang and I see something shoot off to my left, and the front drop. It all goes a bit floaty, and I somehow manage to career it over to the hard shoulder without flipping it or hitting the barrier, find the fugging hazard swich which is behind the steering wheel, not in the airvent that I punched as thats where it is in the xm and not soil myself...

Grabbed my phone and scrambled out to the other side of the crash barrier...

F*ck

f*ck

I call SWMBO and once I stop screaming I inform her of my predicament, and once she stopped screaming my mate put his boot down and did the 10 miles to the next junction, 18 miles back to the last then up behind me rather too quickly. SWMBO had the AA details (we have it with the bank). I'm on my 4th cigarette

Whilst I waited for them, I had a look and deduced that the wheel had fallen off. I took my chances and dived over the barrier, got the spare wheel down, took my anger out on the cable-tied up jack box and ripped 4 of them off in one pull and jacked it up off the disc. Everything was still connected, so I grabbeda bolt from the rear wheel and it fitted and nipped up, so the threads were fine. Thinking about bonging the spare on with 3 bolts from the other wheels, kicking the wing back down and getting the hell out of there were interrupted by the arrival of SWMBO

Then these guys turned up. We wondered why the gantryabove us had suddenly come on

This was at about 7pm, I'd lost the wheel at about half 5. SWMBO had called the AA out,and the wombles were happy that we were safe and being recovered to told us to stay put and await recovery. 2 phone calls later, the recovery had not arrived, ot was getting cold and dark and Eva needed feeding and changing, so my mate gave me his coat from his boot, SWMBO gave me her pack of fags and her phone and they went off to cobham services. I sat down for another hour when the first towtruck arrived!

He agreed with me that it would be find putting the spare on and winching it up so we did so, and I was on the move once more!

Turns out, our cover is only 'to a safe place', although the guy did phone his office and try to get me home, as he said it wasnt far, and lied to his office that he had Eva in the back. No suck luck!

Get to Cobham at about 10.30, and matey unloaded me and bid us farewell. SWMBO gets back on the phone, and we basically had to pay £130 to upgrade our membership to full 'get us home' cover. Another truck was dispatched, and we all sit around feeling very tired. Then we reaslise that my mate has to get a ticket, as he drove in. He goes off and discovers that it's 2 hours or £25 for 24h. He pops off to go for a drive and come back in, and myself and SWMBO sit in the ZX with the engine and heaters on. She pops to mcdonalds for some dinner.

Eventually, I get a call saying "He will be with you in 20 minutes sir, but needs his tacho break". Great! I tell SWMBO and mate to go home, as I know at least that I will get home soon, and sit back for another hour listening to radio 2, when eventually the yellow truck of joy arrives

And I got home at half 2!

The next day, I assessed the damage

Lots of rubber on the door!

Remains of the horrible mudflap

Onto the disc

Pads look good still (I was on the brakes I think, so the pads didnt get chewed up)

Hub looks fine

Lost a wishbone bolt though

Happy that all i need are new discs and wheel bolts I cabletied the caliper up, put the wheel back on and hammered the wing roughly straight

Arch liner is in the boot

I took the drivers wheel off too just to check

The disc holding bolts are broken on this side too

Took the other mud flap off and revealed a mud trap

Other plus points are recently serviced

Cambelt 8k ago, clutch 50k ago, battery 3 days ago!

Nice wired car kit (have heard their rubbish but will have a go!)

So, not quite the start to ownership I wanted, but the seller was mortified when he heard so he paid for the new brake discs and wheel bolts, which I will buy and pick up on Thursday, as ECP is on the way home from where I'm getting the XM MOT'd on thursday.

So, hopefully on thursday night I can fix and test the ZX, then tax it (as it's tax runs out this month too) and sell the XM tax-less (which I didnt really want to do)

Joy!
1997 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen XM
1994 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen Xantia
2005 Renault Laguna
2001 Renault Laguna
2002 Peugeot 406

1997 Citroen ZX
2002 Citroen Xsara
beko1987

Re: My New work snotter - ZX1.9TD

Post by beko1987 »

I bought new discs, some brake grease and Dot4 on the way back from getting the XM MOT'd, and set about fixing her up!

Calipers also got a light refurb, although I didnt take the piston out, it was smooth enough so worked it in and out a few times.

I cleaned the disc off, dont worry!

All was smooth and lovely by hand so I did the drivers side, as I dont trust the buggar now!

It was due a new disc! I reused the pads on both sides, they were fine and looked very new (and genuine Citroen! Will keep an eye on them to check they are wearing!)

Went for a slow test drive and all seemed fine! Pumped the spare up and evened out the rest of the tyres, and drove to work this morning!

It's so different to drive than the 2.0tct auto XM! Havent quite got the hang of what gear goes with what engine speed!

Issues to ponder:

It cranked for a few seconds then started this morning belching a nice cloud of dull grey smoke out the exhaust! It had new glow plugs (inc the tricky one) a year or so ago, and looking at posts on here I'll check the leak off pipes first.

Door switch on pass side is fuubar, will try to clean

Need to refit the arch liner this weekend

Need to put the spare wheel cage back on (ripped it out whislt trying not to be blown over by the lorries whilst on the hard shoulder...)

New wing (think I've got that sorted)

Indicator bulb for the wing

Some better tyres

Speedo bounce up to about 35ish (new speedo cable in the boot apparently)

Should be simple! Was nice coming to work and not using a drop of fuel though! (Needle went up and down but never lower than I started this morning with.) I presume the fuel guage arrangement is a tad vague on these anyway? Was certainly nice driving something that didnt use fuel at the same rate as it used revs, although I didnt venture much past 55! Pulled over halfway in too and checked the bolts (got all my tools in the boot still just in case!)
1997 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen XM
1994 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen Xantia
2005 Renault Laguna
2001 Renault Laguna
2002 Peugeot 406

1997 Citroen ZX
2002 Citroen Xsara
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :shock: :shock: :shock: #-o #-o :? :? :?

why didnt you pull over the see what the Shaking was about??????

good no one got hurt at least [-o< [-o< :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
beko1987

Post by beko1987 »

I know, it's the one thing I'm kicking myself about tbh, all the damage and waiting could have been avoided. Lesson learnt though, and I now know the sound of a wheel about to break free!

It was just a light wobble at first, like a lost weight. However it then got alot worse very quickly! Their nipped up tight now anyway!
1997 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen XM
1994 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen Xantia
2005 Renault Laguna
2001 Renault Laguna
2002 Peugeot 406

1997 Citroen ZX
2002 Citroen Xsara
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

I think I would have needed a new driver's seat after that.

Glad nobody was hurt!

That's the same age as my old one - in much much better nick though than when I bought it though. Good find :-D
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
beko1987

Post by beko1987 »

It's the closest I've been to soiling myself in fright, but I then zoned in on not totalling it that I didnt!

Thanks. High mielage, but recent cambelt, clutch is about 70k old, now new front brakes, rad is only a year or so old, coolant is bright green and recent etc! Should make a nice economical veg-mobile in time! Now I know it works I've started to make a mental shopping list in my head for bits it needs!
1997 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen XM
1994 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen Xantia
2005 Renault Laguna
2001 Renault Laguna
2002 Peugeot 406

1997 Citroen ZX
2002 Citroen Xsara
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Loved my ZX, they're a real pleasure to own.

I do miss running on veggie oil, when I was at uni it was amusing to pootle around for 50p a litre of 100% WVO in the summer. Good times that was indeed.
I learnt the lesson quickly to have a spare fuel filter at all times though!
There is still an unused ZX fuel filter in my tool box to this day....

What spec level is yours? I notice it has the nice leather steering wheel and interior and sunroof but no alloys...

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
beko1987

Post by beko1987 »

I wish it was 50p a litre now, but even at £1/ltr it's better value than derv! Currently got half a tank of derv in now, and I might run a mix of derv/oil to start with incase it shocks it too much after 260k of deisel!

It's a Volcane, but the alloys were correded and stopped sealing the tyres a few years ago so it now has 306 steels on (the wheel trims are in the boot and rear footwells). Can't say I'm too fussed about it at the moment! It does have a sunroof, but apparently it doesnt go back straight and binds itself up requiring some persuasion with 2 hands so the motors unplugged. Not fussed tbh, never have them open anyway. It's watertight, that's all that matters!
1997 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen XM
1994 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen Xantia
2005 Renault Laguna
2001 Renault Laguna
2002 Peugeot 406

1997 Citroen ZX
2002 Citroen Xsara
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Hooray! Another Volcane TD still going strong. The sunroofs on these do seem a bit sticky, mine refused to slide back after a while.

I was heartbroken when I had to get rid of mine :(

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

beko1987 wrote:
It's a Volcane,
sounds like its was

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/earth/coll ... t_vesuvius" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

erupting

good to hear you've learned you lesson bud
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
beko1987

Post by beko1987 »

Oh I checked the bolts before leaving work and after getting home!

Its very nice, but a world apart to drive compared to the XM, its like driving a roller skate!

Few questions...

Theres about an inch of slop at the top of the brake pedal before it gets going. I plan to overhaul the rears and bleed thee calipers but is it normal? I'm used to a hard pedal no matter what!

Fuel needle goes up and down during a journey

Gearstick is a bit floppy when in gear. Doesn't pop out and selects fine.

However, I did use no fuel going to work and back today which makes a change!
1997 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen XM
1994 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen Xantia
2005 Renault Laguna
2001 Renault Laguna
2002 Peugeot 406

1997 Citroen ZX
2002 Citroen Xsara
beko1987

Post by beko1987 »

Oh, the lumbar adjuster doesn't on the drivers seat. Common issue?
1997 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen XM
1994 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen Xantia
2005 Renault Laguna
2001 Renault Laguna
2002 Peugeot 406

1997 Citroen ZX
2002 Citroen Xsara
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

ZX TDs are hilarious fun - nothing, nothing, oh we're on boost and nearly in the hedge :lol: If you want sedate driving, keep it below 2250 rpm, if you want hooligan fun, get it over 2750 - 2500 is a bit of a grey area as it comes on boost....

Bosch pump, so plenty happy on veg!

Floppy gear change can be the bush at the bottom of the gearstick worn, or wear in the pivot on the back of the subframe.
Fuel needle is well underdamped and swings about all over the place - use the trip meter, should do around 45 mpg = 10 miles / litre, so it's pretty easy to work out.
If it's got drums on the rear, then probably needs the adjusters looking at, but I'd have thought a Volcane would be on discs at the back? Give them a good bleed and see where that takes it.

That wheel moment must have been interesting.... you'll never ignore a wobble / clonking noise again though!
Richard W
Northern_Mike

Re: Re: My New work snotter - ZX1.9TD

Post by Northern_Mike »

RichardW wrote:ZX TDs are hilarious fun - nothing, nothing, oh we're on boost and nearly in the hedge
I loved mine. I was gutted when it was BER at MOT time. I'd had it for about 9 months and thrashed it everywhere. It had been 100% reliable over 30k miles running mostly on veg.

I spotted an XM 2.1 on a K plate for sale at the side of the road on the way home from the MOT station. In hindsight I should have spent the money fixing the ZX....
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

Fantastic little car the Zx, there's only an activa which handles better. And probably one of the most reliable Citroën if not the most reliable one of the nineties.

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.