307 1.6 jerks under partial throttle

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bannedbiker
My Cars: 2003 Peugeot 307 1.6S
1997 Eunos Roadster

307 1.6 jerks under partial throttle

Post by Bannedbiker »

I wonder if anyone has an idea on this?
The car is a 53 plate 307 1.6 litre petrol, manual gearbox with about 67,000 miles on the clock.
I bought it about 9 months ago and it has been great apart from an annoying tendency to sometimes jerk or kangaroo, usually under partial throttle when decelerating between 2,500 rpm and 3,000 rpm.
The throttle body has been cleaned out, and a new coil pack has been fitted not long after buying. New spark plugs from Peugeot (think they were bosch from memory but were in Peugeot packaging) were fitted when I serviced the car after buying it.
No fault codes have been seen, either with a OBD2 reader or Peugeot Planet.
Has anyone got any ideas as it's starting to grate a little, especially in traffic.
Thanks you for any assistance in advance.

Martin.
2003 Peugeot 307, 1.6 petrol.
Previously owned 1999 Citroen Xantia 1.9 td and a 1997 Citroen ZX 1.9
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Re: 307 1.6 jerks under partial throttle

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

If there are definitely no codes showing and you have access to Planet, the next thing I'd be checking is Live Data and look for any anomalies. You might need a co-pilot to read the data while you drive.

I'm more of a diesel man, does the petrol engine have an EGR valve? The jerking and hesitation is a common problem on diesels and is usually the EGR valve, and cured with a blanking plate.

I've also read elsewhere that Beru plugs should be the ones of choice. Not sure if that's just for the 206 though.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
Bannedbiker
My Cars: 2003 Peugeot 307 1.6S
1997 Eunos Roadster

Post by Bannedbiker »

Thanks for your reply.
I think you're right that I'll have to look at live data, wondered whether there were any known faults that could cause such a problem.
I don't think there is a EGR fitted, had a look at the Book of Lies (Haynes) and it doesn't mention one but I'll have a look under the bonnet in the next couple of days.
I kept one of the spark plug boxes for future reference as it had the Bosch part number on it as well as the Peugeot one. I just checked Servicebox and it does give the same part number as the one I had for plugs so think Bosch is correct. I remember reading that NGK isn't to be used, not sure if that's correct.
Thanks again for your suggestions, it's a nice car apart from it's "hic cups" so I'd like to get it sorted.
2003 Peugeot 307, 1.6 petrol.
Previously owned 1999 Citroen Xantia 1.9 td and a 1997 Citroen ZX 1.9
luby

Post by luby »

Not sure if this will be relevant to 307 but I had the same problem with my 206. First time around, I just cleaned the Mass Airflow Sensor using CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner, and Throttle Body using CRC Throttle Body cleaner. This did not fix it, so I removed the IAC and also cleaned it with Throttle Body cleaner and dried it by pressurised air in the can (don't have a compressor yet). I was careful not to spray the cleaner into the shaft. Heaps of dirt came out and when I put everything back together, the problem was gone.