Inlet manifold Gasket replacement - Sealant or not?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Inlet manifold Gasket replacement - Sealant or not?

Post by Northern_Mike » 26 Jun 2014, 12:30

Two questions.

I'm replacing the inlet manifold gasket on the DRK - Renault 4, 1108cc engine, pushrod, alloy head.

1. What's the best way of removing the crud left behind by the old gasket?
2. Should I use a sealant with the new gasket (it goes metal-metal , i.e. The metal face of the gasket to the head? right?). If I need a sealant, then what should I use?

I've already got it in bits on the drive.... manifolds off.

cheers

Mike

citronut

Re: Inlet manifold Gasket replacement - Sealant or not?

Post by citronut » 26 Jun 2014, 13:35

i have never used/owned one but i understand the likes of these are what engine refurbisher companies use

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nkw ... 0241578235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

probably have to remove all the stud first though

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 26 Jun 2014, 17:23

No gasket goo on an exhaust manifold Mike. Just use a new gasket dry and all will be good...

That 'toffee' looks ace Malcolm!

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 26 Jun 2014, 18:50

Do I get the feeling that a visit with a torque wrench might be needed soon? I have this Saturday and Monday off.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 26 Jun 2014, 19:07

CitroJim wrote:No gasket goo on an exhaust manifold Mike. Just use a new gasket dry and all will be good...
What about inlet? The thing is a one-piece inlet/exhaust manifold. Anyway, it's all back together with no goo at all..

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 26 Jun 2014, 19:09

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Do I get the feeling that a visit with a torque wrench might be needed soon? I have this Saturday and Monday off.
No thanks James, it's all back together, and there's no way a torque wrench would get in there anyway. I couldn't even get a 3/8" drive short socket on 4 of the 7 nuts. I've just done it up tight, and it all seems fine.

Now I just need to replace the fuel pump, that's tomorrow's job. It appears to have died a not so noisy death also.