Xantia HDi 110 driveshafts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

graham1701d

Xantia HDi 110 driveshafts

Post by graham1701d »

Hi,
Having real problems with reconditioned AMK driveshafts. Outer CV boots slipping off after 1000 miles. Supplier won't replace a second time.

What I would like to know is if Xantia Auto 110 HDI nearside driveshafts are the same as the manual gearbox version. Service Citroen doesn't give a part number for automatic drivesahfts. Looking at an automatic one on ebay it looks identical to the manual one. I just thought I would check with those in the know. Thanks.

Regards Graham
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Xantia HDi 110 driveshafts

Post by Peter.N. »

How are the boots secured? I can't see that the boot fitting recess would be any different whichever drive shaft you had, it could be poor fittings or poor boots - unless you know otherwise.

Peter
graham1701d

Post by graham1701d »

I bought just a CV joint originally (AMK). Put the boot on. With the proper metal clips. Within 500 miles the boot had slipped off. Repeated two more times. After this I thought sod it I will buy a complete driveshaft. AMK again. Failed within 500 miles with lots of wobble. Replaced with another AMK shaft. Within 1000 miles this time the boot slipped off (a professionally reconditioned driveshaft). I have not touched the boot at all. I just fitted the driveshaft. Supplier will not replace again because they don't deem it as a failure. Want me to fit a new boot kit. My argument is I shouldn't have to on a newly reconned shaft. Given up trying to get anywhere with them.

So I looked on ebay. One genuine AUTO shaft on there. I just want to know if the AUTO shafts and the MANUAL shafts have the same fitting with the splines etc? The splines count is the same but I don't know if there is a slight total length issue. Thanks.

Regards Graham
electronmirror
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.0 (163) diesel Exclusive Tourer 2010
Xantia Exclusive HDI Estate

Post by electronmirror »

Graham,

I'm puzzled by your original post. Exactly which model of Xantia are you talking about, the HDI 110 was manual gearbox only but you refer to a driveshaft for an auto you've seen on eBay.

I'm wondering what driveshaft you have been supplied with. As Peter comments I can't see the recess for the CV boot being different on manual/auto driveshafts but you never know.....
Ted
2010 C5 2.0 diesel(163) Exclusive Tourer (119,290miles)
1999 Xantia Exclusive Estate 110 Hdi Mauritius Blue with self peeling lacquer finish (276,174miles)

1991 XM Prestige 2.0 Auto(157,000 miles) gone but not forgotten
graham1701d

Post by graham1701d »

Citroen Service list DW10ATED as having either a manual ML5T or auto box AL4? Is this not the case? The driveshaft is advertised as coming from a 110bhp with an autobox. The splines match with mine.
electronmirror
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.0 (163) diesel Exclusive Tourer 2010
Xantia Exclusive HDI Estate

Post by electronmirror »

Citroen Service looks to have thrown a wobbly.

The Xantia HDI 110 (DW10ATED) was never fitted with an automatic gearbox. It uses the manual ML5T gearbox with hydraulic clutch operation.
Ted
2010 C5 2.0 diesel(163) Exclusive Tourer (119,290miles)
1999 Xantia Exclusive Estate 110 Hdi Mauritius Blue with self peeling lacquer finish (276,174miles)

1991 XM Prestige 2.0 Auto(157,000 miles) gone but not forgotten
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it seems the reson they dont list a driveshaft for an Auto HDI 110 is maybe they dont di that engine in a Xant with Auto box,

because if you look up a 1.8 16V Xant ut lists driveshafts for the Auto box, which are a part No. specifically for the Auto if you do an all families search with that driveshaft part No.
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

have you tried entering the last 8 digits of your chassis/VIN No. into service citroen,
then look at driveshafts/Auto box's,

as this will show you exactly what is fitted to your car
Regards, malcolm.

neil123
My Cars: 2001 Xantia 110 Hdi Forte estate - owned from new.
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

Chaps, If I'm reading the OP correctly, his car is a manual (well it would be) the auto driveshaft on EBay is a red herring OP's only interest being would such a thing fit his, as its the only genuine shaft on Ebay? (and what IS it for, as it isn't an HDi 110 auto? Did Peugeot 406/407 use this engine with an autobox?)

But - seems to me, the problem is with what he's been supplied and with the supplier's attitude.

My suggestion would be - see supplier,( at boss level! or get your local Trading Standards office or CAB to do it for you?) and explain nicely enough but firmly that the problem is theirs and my contract is with them, that if not supplied with either a shaft of another manufacture or my money back in full, my next course of action will be to have a garage remove the 'not fit for purpose' shaft they've supplied, fit one of reputable manufacture and then go to Moneyclaims online and issue a claim in the small claims track of the County Court, for the full cost of the garage remove, supply and fit, plus any provable other costs (taxis, busfares,issue fees, whatever. The cost of doing this is small, it's easy and I would not just say i was going to, I'd do it unless they sort themselves out.

https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd be astonished if they don't just replace the shaft with another make for you to fit, but if not, go for it - the whole pantomime so far is unsatisfactory, why should you be doing the chasing around?

Just my thoughts... hope it helps.
graham1701d

Post by graham1701d »

Hi,
Thanks. Your comments are most helpful. I haven't decided yet what I am going to do regarding getting my money back with the faulty shaft. I have got to the point where all I want is a driveshaft that works properly. My biggest difficulty phoning round motor factors is finding anything other than an AMK driveshaft for a replacement. My opinion so far of their shafts and their attitude towards replacing it is not good. The genuine one on ebay appealed to me because it looks like the shaft on my HDi 110 manual. Being the really thick shaft that is I believe unique to all cars that have the ML5T gearbox. Aswell as the 3.0 V6 auto. I am fairly sure it will fit to my car. I will find out tomorrow evening I expect. I have taken a chance. Thanks again all.

Regards Graham
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Graham
can you tell us what was holding the boots on the re/con shafts, was it metal straping/clip or the likes of cable ties,

if the later this in its self is not acceptable, as these are not suited to securing drive shaft gaiters,

then theres the metal clip you say you fitted to one of the gaiters, what type was it and did you have to official tool to fasten it in place????????
Regards, malcolm.

graham1701d

Post by graham1701d »

Metal bands that you hook on as tight as you can then tighten it with a pair of pincers. They weren't the Citroen clic r type.
Fitted the second hand shaft off ebay tonight. Quick test drive so far so good.

Regards Graham
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

The driveshafts on the Xantia V6 4HP20 gearbox are different from the ones used on the ML5T in the manual.

The V6 ones look nothing like the ones that are in my Activa if memory serves me right. Also, Citroen list different part numbers for the manual/auto V6 driveshafts.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

DHallworth wrote:The driveshafts on the Xantia V6 4HP20 gearbox are different from the ones used on the ML5T in the manual.

The V6 ones look nothing like the ones that are in my Activa if memory serves me right. Also, Citroen list different part numbers for the manual/auto V6 driveshafts.

David.
they do and are listed with different part No.'s as i said above
Regards, malcolm.

graham1701d

Post by graham1701d »

I think Hydractive and/or Activa suspension plays a big part in what driveshafts various models have.