Uneven braking question please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Uneven braking question please

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi,
This is probably the most basic of breaking systems in a Citroen 2cv which was pretty well balanced when I delivered the car for an MOT, the car failed on a near side rear wheel bearing which was replaced by a garage close to the MOT testing station the rear drum shoe was released to remove the N/S drum to access the wheel bearing but as I discovered when I got home the drum brakes had not been readjusted properly after the near side wheel bearing had been replaced.

Now on the way home the brakes were causing the car to pull dramatically to the left and I am trying in my mind to work out how this is happening because the trailing shoe on the near side drum is not causing any braking effect.
would I be right in thinking that if only the leading shoe is applying a braking force this would be enough to pull the car to the left?

any thoughts would be appreciated as I am finding this one a little confusing to understand and maybe wondering if there are other possibilities at play here.

thanks in advance

Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Uneven braking question please

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Nigel

I wouldn't think faulty rear brakes would cause the car to pull appreciably to one side - well not on a car with normal suspension anyway. The rear brakes only apply 1/3 or less of the braking effort so one shoe not working would only affect 1/6 of the total. Normally you can't have only one shoe working unless something has seized up as it relies on the other one to push against. I would suspect the problem is with the front brakes. I would take it back to the MOT tester and get him to recheck the brake balance.

Peter
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hello Peter,

I adjusted the front brakes myself before the MOT as I usually do this myself every year and as I said it was perfectly balanced before the car went for the MOT. The only thing that has changed is the nearside rear drum brakes were released to fit a new rear bearing but not readjusted afterwards, half of the bearing is in the drum and half is on the stub axel.
On Monday Last I jacked up the car and found that the near side rear brakes were not adjusted after fitting the bearing in other words they were just flapping in the wind.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Could be the problem but I have never come across it.

Peter