Spring compressor recommendation

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Spring compressor recommendation

Post by RichardW »

Anyone recommend good spring compressors? Looks like the C4 needs both front strut top bearings doing - SWMBO said it was graunching on lock, so as I had it jacked up today for the cambelt job, worked the steering back and fore, and both strut tops are juddering :roll: Think it's on original springs (73k miles) so would put new springs in while it was apart as well. But no spring compressors at the mo, so would need to get some.... Looks like a bit of a fag on the C4 as the wipers / plastic scuttle etc will need to come off to get at the strut top mount. Surprisingly the bearing from Citroen is only £13 - cheaper than many after market seem to be - mind you, Cit want £95 for the springs. Each :shock:
Richard W
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Have you got a windy gun? I've a pair of Sealey ones, they were 18 quid. Need a windy gun though. Hard work with a ratchet or spanner. Depends how often you're planning on using them. The pro ones with the big flat bits are much better.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Search out the old Facom one. It's a horseshoe type with crank handle.
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Spring compressor recommendation

Post by citronut »

i had to fit new front springs to a V*O*L*V*O V70 a year or two ago, which i thought i might need extra long spring compressors for,

so i purchased a set like these

http://tinyurl.com/luw9bya" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Seen some double claw ones on the bay with 370mm reach for £12 (!) so probably go with them. Looks like half the car has to come apart to get to the top mount:

At least the drop links are relatively new, so will come out without too much trouble.... :lol:

Perhaps this is the excuse I need to buy one of these: 'windy' gun :twisted: SWMBO currently pleased as it's running much better with the new cambelt fitted [-o<
Richard W
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

RichardW wrote:SWMBO currently pleased as it's running much better with the new cambelt fitted [-o<
That's a relief that she's pleased Richard ! :lol:

I'm quite surprised just how much difference the new belt made to the performance. The research on valve timing I did for my car had suggested that just a few degrees of retard of the camshafts could have quite a detrimental effect on low rpm torque, at least on a petrol engine - looks like the same is true of a diesel!

Rule of thumb I've seen is that an old stretched belt can cause a loss of as much as 4 degrees or so of timing, judging by the change in tilt in the crankshaft peg we saw before and after I would say we were easily seeing that much...

You can really see the benefit of vernier cams for getting the timing spot on, especially if you re-adjust them after the belt has had time to bed in! Non vernier cams where you can only set it to the nearest tooth are always going to be at the mercy of belt stretch variations...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

If your doing the springs and tops just save yourself a job and do the dampers.

You can always list the old ones on eBay and get a few quid back but why bother messing about with used but just put a nice new lot on and enjoy a good ride up front as at 73k if the springs and top mounts are showing wear the dampers can't be far behind and you know what will happen if you don't in a few months time....
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Mandrake wrote:
I'm quite surprised just how much difference the new belt made to the performance. The research on valve timing I did for my car had suggested that just a few degrees of retard of the camshafts could have quite a detrimental effect on low rpm torque, at least on a petrol engine - looks like the same is true of a diesel!
i have recently experienced this as i said in another thread Simon

"window cleaner customer of mine bought a petrol Pox all Ashtray the seller had just had the cam belt fitted,

on bringing the car to me saying it had absolutely no get up and go and was drinking the go go juice like it was going out of fashion,

first thing i checked was the cam timing only to find the pointer way off of were it should have bin,

i re/did the tension which sorted the running and fuel economy,"
Regards, malcolm.

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

An interesting thought Will - are you suggesting buying a strut complete, so it's just a mechanical change over? Do you know of a supplier - I had a quick search but nothing obvious showed up?
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

I had a look - Monroe do supply complete units (quick struts) but not for C4 Picasso yet. But on re-reading, perhaps you are suggesting just sticking in a new damper at the same time to avoid having to have it all out again in a few 000 miles time when it starts leaking..... #-o looks like 100 notes a side though, so think it can wait....
Richard W
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Yeah thats the idea or asking monroe to make the setup for you :)

IMO the cost isnt as bad as thinking about the waster time having to go back again...

You could just get the bits and then find a friend or local garage who could fit the springs in for you for a few quid...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Job done today. I had sprayed some grease in the direction of the bearing last week, which had improved things, but decided I would bash on anyway as I had the bits. Just as well I did, given this was the state of the OS one:

NS one was slightly better - it held together initially, but fell apart when touched! Needed a lot of winding on the compressors to get enough to get the top nut off, but for £12 they worked admirably 8-) Had to take the wiper motors out so i could get an allen key in the top of the strut to free the retaining nut (on these the strut it held into the car with a second nut on the top of the strut rather than 3 nuts around the strut). Managed not to lose the gearbox oil as well 8-)
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

good job Richard

those springy compressors are like the ones i bought,

that spring looks a bit more done one side than the other :yikes: :yikes: :-D :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Job well done Richard. =D>

Are those not sealed bearings or did they just fall in half during removal ?? Surely a bearing in such a hostile water and salt laden area would be a fully sealed type ? :?
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Because the spring narrows at the bottom, and the lower plate is very wide, it's difficult to get the compressors on equally, but they did the job. Got it a bit more even on the second side!

The bearing is not supposed to come apart, but it's not really sealed. I was surprised at how bad it was really, but then it only cost £12 (even for an SNR one) so they're not exactly expensively made!
Richard W