C5 Used Car Test

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bencowell

C5 Used Car Test

Post by bencowell »

From www.autoexpress.co.uk
t has never been a top seller, but there's more to Citroen's C5 than meets the eye. Although not the most attractive family car, it's extremely practical, with a vast estate version and room for five inside. There is also a huge model range and a wide choice of petrol and diesel engines - and all for tempting used prices.
Citroen's constant cashback deals make new C5s look cheaper by the day, but the discounts erode second-hand values. The effect of lower new car prices is a fall in residuals - great for used buyers, but not so for a C5's first owner. Get a well equipped diesel, and you'll have a family car bargain.
Checklist
* Interior: many owners have reported vibrations from the dashboard - if you want to fasten the centre console securely you have to lift up the gearlever's housing first.
* Brakes: wheelbearings chafing against ABS sensors brought about a recall last year. Some Y and 51-reg cars were affected - contact Citroen to see if the work was done.
* Electrics: the on-board computer is known to send the dashboard readouts haywire. Also, check for electric windows and radios that operate by themselves.
* Suspension: the C5 continues Citroen tradition by using a complex hydraulic suspension. It's very efficient, so as long as there are no leaks, the set-up should prove problem-free for the lifetime of the car.
* Gearbox: although the HDis are impressive, the standard manual box does not sit well with the diesel. Hurried changes can increase wear, so listen for grinding gears.
Driving impressions
Your view of the C5's driving dynamics will depend entirely on the type of journey. If you are motorway cruising, then the Citroen's smooth riding and torquey diesel engines will impress. But on B-roads you won't be so excited - the soft suspension and over-assisted steering make for sloppy cornering.
The dashboard is well laid out, but the driving position is geared towards armchair comfort rather than a sporty posture. With the exception of the base 1.8, all engines offer gutsy performance.
Glass's View
Since its launch, the C5 has struggled to gain popularity, but cashback offers and unbeatable practicality have been its saviour. Estate versions fare much better than their five-door counterparts, but demand still remains relatively poor. Diesel models attract the most interest, with good fuel economy and performance for the higher-powered 2.2 HDis - which make great used buys. Values remain terrible for the V6s, though, and they struggle to find homes despite their high spec. Jeff Paterson, Snr Cars Editor, Glass's Guide
Life With A C5
It's a big car with loads of space and extras plus a great 2.0-litre diesel engine which pulls away well in any gear. Only the looks let it down. Michael Offless, Bradford, West Yorkshire
I've got a 2.2-litre HDi auto estate. It's a smooth cruiser, but my car's on-board computer had to be replaced under warranty. There was a nine-month wait before the repair work was carried out. Keith Stephens, Bracknell, Berkshire
ghostrider
My Cars:

C5 Used Car Test

Post by ghostrider »

Yup sounds like a great Cit in the making, roll on the day they drop to around ?2k, about another 18 months at a guess :-)))) it has also forced down xantia prices i suspect, I've looked at but not bought 3 year old lowish mileage 110bhp HDI xantias for around ?4k which bearing in mind how much they were new is nearly CX style depreciation, why do people mistrust these cars so much? but don't tell anyone if you know; for 20 years I've enjoyed the savings brought about by other people's paranoia ;-)
Pete
________
VAPIR OXYGEN
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:44, edited 1 time in total.