First generation C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tourist
My Cars:

First generation C5

Post by Tourist »

Hey everyone,

So after some "quality time" (questionable) driving m-reg golfs and ventos, I'm in the market (soon, not immediately) for a C5 - no later than 2004, I'm looking at the pre-facelift models as that's all my budget allows. I currently have ~£800 but will need to save for a little longer. In the mean time, is there anything I should know about these cars other than the typical electrical problems? What should I expect to pay for a generally nice condition C5? Thanks.

Edit: noticed I sound pretty vague, but any extra knowledge aside from what I've seen on ebay and the like will be useful still.
Cars owned: 1996 (P) Peugeot 306 XNd, 1992 (K) Citroen ZX "Wedge" 1.9D Avantage, 1992 (K) Citroen BX TXD Turbo disaster edition, 1995 (M) Peugeot 306 XRdt, 1992/1993 (N!) Citroen BX TZD Turbo, 3 VWs.
Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

Re: First generation C5

Post by Quackers »

Keep away from the 2.0i HPI Petrol engine, the 2.0i 16V Petrol engine is ok , but just don't go near a HPI.
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

2.0HDi is the one to go for, LX is base spec so look for an SX or Exclusive/Exclusive SE for all the toys. Cambelt is due at 10yrs/100,000 miles so look for one that has been done. Crankshaft pulleys are known to go and make a knocking sound but are easy enough to replace. Clutch has a DMF so can work out £700+ if it needs replacing, again look out for it being changed.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree with Saab C5, the 8 valve 2.0. Hdi is about the best engine of the bunch, much simpler than the later and 16 valve ones but still capable of 60 mpg driven considerately.

£800.00 should buy you a half decent one off ebay, there are quite a few on at the moment. Give it a good long test drive and make sure everything works.

Common faults are radius arm bearings on high mileage models, heater control failure on SXs, the dual zone heating is nice but not if it doesn't work properly, an LX is simpler. I have had a few engine problems but mostly due to the HP pump pressure regulator but they are generally very reliable, mine has done nearly 200k and I have the same engine in a 406 which has been almost faultless and has now done 225k.

You should be able to get hold of a good high mileage one with a replacement clutch and DMF for about that money although both are original in my cars as far as I know. Depends on how they have been driven.

They can suffer with electrical faults but so far I haven't had to many.

Peter