best base for a track car?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gordyb
My Cars:

best base for a track car?

Post by gordyb »

First off, thanks for the help last month on my sphere's - took the car to Cleaver Cars as recommended and they did a great job replacing 4 of them and fixed a few other little niggles at the same time - all for just over 200 quid inc vat.
Now, I'm in the process of selling my "fun" car which is an MX-5. I'm looking to replace it with another fun car which I want to do lots of track days in - probably 15 or more a year. Shortlist includes a 205 GTi, 309 Gti and an AX GT, I'm also looking at an Alfa 75 and an old BMW 325 as I do love RWD. So far for my budget, a 205 Gti 1.9 seems the best fit. Anyone have any views as to which would suit my needs and which would stand up to track abuse the best? It won't be heavily modified - just stripped out a little to save weight, track day tyres and better brake pads/fluid. The AX is very tempting as most hillclimb championships have a 1400cc and under stock class - something I think I'll have a go at next year.
Thanks
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Without doubt, the BX 16V. It's coming into its own as a favoured track car all over the world. There are a couple racing very successfully in the UK and abroad.
Here's a few ideas for you to chew on.
http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/pug16v.htm
Alan S
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I have been thinking about doing something with a Xantia Activa for a while now for trackdays. The turbocharged engine is pretty easy to get 190BHP out of, the suspension gives it great handling and hydraulic Citroens are dead easy to alter the ride height on.
You can pick up 96 Activas for under a grand now as well.
gordyb
My Cars:

Post by gordyb »

Thanks, but I'm interested in more than the engine and the power/weight. What about the rest of the mechanicals and electricals - will they stand up to track abuse on a car that is already 13 years old?
Hurdsey
My Cars:

Post by Hurdsey »

Get yourself a Westfield [:D]
the only thing that can live with them on a trackday is another Westfield, or maybe a Caterham but they're silly money [:(!]
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Gordy
The ax or the 205 would both be good choices. I compete in sprints and hillclimbs and youre right about the ax. You dont get many cars in the standard up to 1400c classes these days but in the road going production class a mildy tweaked one would be a good front runner against the minis and 205 rallyes etc. The 205 gti is still competitive as well. Theres a member in my motor club who has a richard longman tuned one putting out about 190bhp which is nice.
Regarding stripping out. Get yourself a competition license and the Blue book that comes with it as you want to prepare your car for your desired class. Ie in standard classes you cant take anything out, just change the front seats and shocks. In road going production you can remove some interior and can change more mechanil bits. Then you have modified production which i run my Visa GTi 16v in where you can do pretty much what you want so think ahead before removing everything :)
Drop me a mail if you want some more detailed info on sprints/hillclimbs
regards
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alans</i>

Without doubt, the BX 16V. It's coming into its own as a favoured track car all over the world. There are a couple racing very successfully in the UK and abroad.
Here's a few ideas for you to chew on.
http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/pug16v.htm
Alan S
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes a friend of mine races one along with his collegaue. The engines standard but they have made up their own set of gear ratios, put in a LSD, totally stripped it out etc and they compete in the Semsec series which is mainly at Lydden in Kent and Brands Hatch although they have been to some other places as well.
Only problem they have had so far was one engine failure due to the infamous oil pick up issues you get with these engines. Most common when people put them in 205's and tilt them back more to save buying a new exhaust manifold/banging up the floor but they go in standard ones as well. Bloke I know uses a 405 mi16 standard for sprints and hes done 2 engines in due to this reason. Hence I need to baffle my sump as a precationary measure. Im thinking welding in some vertical plates and drilling some holes which should do for now. Problem is I think some bx 16vs had ally sumps, others iron ones, need to investigate mine as welding ally is impossible/hard afaik