Need some advice ...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Need some advice ...

Post by Xaccers »

To be safe, disconnect your battery as the air bag needs to be removed.
Turn the wheel 90 degrees and stick a T30 long shaft in the hole to undo the air bag retaining screws then remove and unplug the air bag.
Be gentle with the ribbon cables behind.
There are 2 triangles on the rotating collar that need to be lined up before fitting the new wheel otherwise you'll break the collar as you drive.
Test the alignment before you refit the air bag.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The slip sing does not use a rotary connector, it has a very long ribbon cable. When it is at the 'rest' position the cable is halfway between fully tight and fully loose. There is a simple indicator to show where the mechanism is. When the two arrows line up the slip ring is at 'rest'. One of the arrows also turns 90 degrees every time the ring is rotated through 360 degrees.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 03 Jun 2014, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There are 2 arrows on the slip ring (rotary air bag / radio controls connector) that should line up at straight ahead to avoid over strainging the cable inside. However, if you don't move it when you take the wheel off then it will be in the right place anyway ( and the arrows won't line up as it will be at 90° in any case....!). When removing the wheel, undo the nut, but then leave it on the end of the thread, then bang the wheel off the shaft - this way you avoid a) banging the wheel into your nose / chin and b) wrecking the cables for the air bag / radio controls :lol: It's 21mm hex on a S1 IIRC.
Richard W
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Xac wrote:To be safe, disconnect your battery as the air bag needs to be removed.
Turn the wheel 90 degrees and stick a T30 long shaft in the hole to undo the air bag retaining screws then remove and unplug the air bag.
Be gentle with the ribbon cables behind.
The holes are in the back of the steering wheel "spokes" and the two screws are angled inwards at about 15deg which keeps your knuckles away from the lower column shroud!
There are 2 triangles on the rotating collar that need to be lined up before fitting the new wheel otherwise you'll break the collar as you drive.
Different type of rotator on (IIRC) pre 1996 Xantias. Before you loosen the old steering wheel: disconnect the two black moulded cables to the rotator; then make sure the steering wheel is exactly aligned in the straight ahead position. With the nut undone only a couple of turns and still well on the threads, rock the steering wheel rim top-bottom and then side-to-side and it will probably come off quite easily. Take great care to then not disturb the steering until the new wheel is carefully fitted in the straight ahead position.

Once the airbag is off and you can see the rotator, move the steering wheel and you will see what we mean. The arrows are a cunning bit of design so you can not only see when it is centred, but also which way to turn it to get it centred (bearing in mind there is more than 1 turn lock-to-lock).
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)