Xantia rear brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Xantia rear brakes

Post by RichardW »

It's RW 16 : rear caliper bolts nil :lol:

Mandrake's V6 now has new discs and pads on the rear, and the calipers cleaned up. Interestingly, despite there only being 1 part number for rear brake calipers on service.citroen, the ones on Simon's car are definitely not the same. The drilling for the bleed screw side has a slightly smaller hole in the bottom than the pipe side, and the pipe bottoms out in the hole, and you can't screw the union in :?
Richard W
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Xantia rear brakes

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

A couple of seasons ago my score was 1-3 at the end of a metaphorical 90 minutes, but I brought on a metaphorical substitute called Oxy Acetylene in injury time, and miraculously the full time score was 4-0 :!:

Well done Richard, I presume with an assist from Plus Gas!

regards
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Yes the pipe not fitting in the opposite hole is strange isn't it, but I think I have an explanation.

Replacement parts callipers must be drilled with the correct size hole on both sides - thus only one skew for replacement callipers (saves stocking two types) but factory fitted ones were probably only drilled with the correct size hole on one side!! (Maybe to save a few seconds during manufacturing by avoiding precision drilling an extra hole that didn't need to be precise on the bleed nipple side) #-o

Another example of this sort of practice is that factory fitted Hydractive ECU's were always different part numbers for Xantia and XM, but the later replacement parts ECU's were one size fits all with a one time programming with a Lexia to tell it it was for a Xantia or XM before installation.

It makes sense to reduce skews for replacement parts that are going to sit in stock for years, even if the unit price is slightly higher, but possibly not for factory fitted parts where they know exactly how many of each type they need to make the cars they plan to produce, in which case they can cut corners like not precisely drilling a hole that they don't need to...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...