Starting Problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MountainMan
My Cars:

Starting Problems

Post by MountainMan »

I have been getting jip from my ZX when starting, especialy early in the morning. Sometimes there is no 'click' and no action from the starter motor, the other times no problem. As of last Monday there is no click from the solenoid - period.
Can the soleniod be repaired? Or is it a comptete motor swap?
Also, in case it's the lead from the ignition (low current terminal on the solenoid) will a wire from the battery and a bulb test that lead adequately?
Thanks.
MTNM
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

A (heavy !) gauge wire direct from battery to the solonoid's spade terminal - will immediately tell if you have a solonoid or starter (key) switch circuit problem.
The wire should be at least standard appliance wire gauge.
Often it's NOT the solonoid - but the starter motor itself that's worn out in the brushes - which then prevents any operating current to flow in the solonoid.
If this is the case - try have an assistent keeping the key in starter position - then with a small hammer, wrench or large screwdriver - tap on the starter motor housing.
Commonly this will rattle the worn brushes into contact and turn the starter motor.
BEWARE : check the gearstick is in NEUTRAL first - I don't want to read you have been run down by your own car [B)]
MountainMan
My Cars:

Post by MountainMan »

Thanks for the reply.
I don't have any heavy gauge wire at present, so have bridged the solenoid terminals with a spanner (great spark!!), to get power to the motor, it turns! So either now it's the solenoid or the ignition key feed to it. I'll have a go with the final options tomorrow.
P.S. Will keep an eye on the gearstick, that would be embarrassing!!
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

This may seem obvious, but check that the connections to the solenoid are tight and remain so - my wife's bx caused no end of hassles with the terminal assembly loosening off. symptoms were those of a jamming starter motor.
Ron
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

with the ignition off, put your car in third gear , handbrake off and rock the car back and forth, this may release the starter motor.
Check your battery terminals are clean and tight.
Also check to see if you have a 12 volt supply to your alternator, seperate to the main charging ones, it needs a 12v supply to make it charge your battery.
Paul
clivetheitman
My Cars:

Post by clivetheitman »

dont know if the wiring is the same as on my diesel BX but after changing the battery found I was unable to start the car. tracked it down to the extra 2 wires that attach to the positive battery lead. these plug in on a multiplug conector molded onto the main battery lead. once reconnected all started perfectly so if you have a similer type of connections, unplug them clean the contacts (with the battery disconnected or you may get a nasty supprise) and coat with vasoline or similer to prevent contact corrosion and reconnect all may be ok after that without lots of other hard work.