Xantia V6 Battery rating?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

155V6

Xantia V6 Battery rating?

Post by 155V6 »

Could anyone tell me which battery I should be looking for to fit my Xantia V6?.The one that's on there has died,I'm not sure if it was up to the job so want to make sure I get one with the correct power rating. Cheers,Tim.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia V6 Battery rating?

Post by CitroJim »

I've used diesel batteries on mine in the past. There's bags of room as the battery carrier is identical..

To be fair though the V6 is not hard on its battery at all. Generally they always start on the button and don't need much starter to do it.

The starter motor itself is tiny. I've seen bigger motors in Hornby train sets...

Mine is still running on the battery it came with 4 years ago and that was not new then, having seem previous service in a DS...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You wouldn't be exaggerating would you Jim? :)

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:You wouldn't be exaggerating would you Jim? :)
Me? Exaggerate? Never!!

I've already told you that at least a million times Peter :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Jim certainly isn't exaggerating. The power required to spin an engine over is, crudely, a function of the capacity of a single cylinder and the compression ratio. That's why diesel with compression ratios of around 20:1 require a beefier starter and battery than a similar sized petrol engines. The cylinder capacity of a 2L 4-cylinder petrol engine is 500cc, but only 416cc for a 2.5L V6.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

It's 2946cc though Guy, not 2.5L, so 491cc per cylinder. And 10.5/1 static compression ratio. Not diesel like by any means, but highish for petrol. (Mine had a cranking compression of 212 psi when I measured it, which is the highest I've ever seen on a petrol engine)

Also bear in mind that on a V6 the compression strokes of adjacent cylinders in the firing order overlap by 60 degrees, unlike a 4 cylinder where there is no overlap, so at some points in the rotation you're trying to compress two cylinders at once, although in different phases of their cycle.

It is very easy to start and crank over though as Jim says - just as easy if not easier than a typical 2L petrol, and it is a rather small looking starter which doesn't look at all in proportion to the size of the engine. :-D
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive