The things you find...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

The things you find...

Post by Old-Guy »

While stripping bits off the blue VSX before the (rotten) shell is consigned to the crusher, I've made some interesting discoveries (so far):

The Hydractive pipe that runs across the front cross member under the radiator was as rotten as a pear - starting to weep LHM on the section between the O/S strut and the electrovalve, looking just as bad (but still dry) on the N/S section. Just a matter of (a short) time before it dumped the contents of the LHM reservoir on the road! :shock:

The reservoir to HP pump feed pipe had been repaired using a elbow of 'rubber' fuel line of slightly too large diameter (10mm) and an 'innovative' adaptor to match it to the ?original? (8mm) pipe. Said adaptor was a deep 6mm, 1/4" sq. drive, socket with a hole between square and hex of not much more than 4mm; by halving the diameter reducing cross sectional area a factor of 4. One (but perhaps not the only) reason why the Hydractive suspension would never work properly and why the steering would sometimes go stiff when driving off first thing (cold LHM).

Downstream of this 'restrictor', the feed to the HP pump wasn't a tight fit onto the pump inlet, so I'd be surprised if some air wasn't being sucked into the hydraulic system.

When I came to drain the fuel tank, the obvious and easy thing to do was to add a length of PVC pipe to the outlet of the priming bulb and let it syphon. Flow was very slow, I suspected the bulb valves but as I got lots of work to do I let it trickle. After I'd drained of something over 10L, I came to salvage the filler flap and unscrewed the filler cap - load hiss of inrushing air! So the breather is blocked, explaning for the occasional loss of power when accelerating hard.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: The things you find...

Post by Peter.N. »

Its a good job we don't know these things or we would be afraid to go out in it. :-D

Peter
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: The things you find...

Post by citroenxm »

The Drvers strut pipe "rusting" on hydractive cars appears to be a common thing! My old blue V6 was like this when I had it, in my V6 blog in a light original resto I sowed this. I removed both pipes, cleaned them down and painted them up..

Its a pipe just like SERIES 2 PAS pipes that arent coated in protection and need close inspection freqently.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto