Is it necessary to clean the fuel injectors?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

begins
My Cars:

Is it necessary to clean the fuel injectors?

Post by begins »

Hi all,

I often passed by workshops and quite a number of them would advertise Fuel Injector Cleaning services.

Is it worth doing it for my old Citroen C5? Any repercussion of doing this maintenance service?

Kindly advise me and Thank you very much.

Regards,
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Is it necessary to clean the fuel injectors?

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It really depends on what type of driving you do. As long as the injectors get hot enough they remain clear, and motorway driving usually does a good job of this.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
chrisbradleyuk
New User

Post by chrisbradleyuk »

Their are many fuel additives that will 'clean' the whole system, including injectors but as have been suggested a 'hot run' will dispose of any 'clogging' if any injector after this treatment does not respond, then it needs replacing, you don't need a brand new one.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I've never had injectors cleaned and never had any problems with any of the cars I've had longer than 10 minutes. I usually do about 25-30k miles a year.

Sent from my GT-I9505
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Only had it done on two cars, one was a 205 that started banging from on cylinder, reportedly from the injector dumping fuel rather than spraying it, and the other time was with my fist Xantia after I flooded the engine. Both times the cleaners just gave me reconditioned injectors and took the old ones off me.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have a 406 and C5 Hdi 8 valve, both have done around 200,000 miles and as far as I know have the original injectors/clutch/DMFs.

Peter
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Is 'begins' referring to petrol injectors or diesel injectors ? There's a world of difference between them...

If it's petrol injectors then I would say unless there are actual symptoms its probably not worth doing. I just had the injectors on mine ultrasonic cleaned in search of an ongoing low power problem only to find that all 6 injectors were balanced within 1% and were within 3% of normal flow rates - so cleaning them didn't fix the issue! This was on a 15 year old 110k mile car too... so unless there are any symptoms that point strongly towards injectors save your money.

Diesel injectors I can't comment on.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

TBH some cars need it and some cars don't.

A diesel is more likely to get sooted up injectors, especially on poor quality fuel and can sometimes help to have them exchanged for known good ones.

The BMW M57 diesel engine is known for injector problems long term and getting them out can be fun, just youtube it to see the extremes some have gone to without using a hydraulic removal tools.

If an engine is getting a good hot thrash on semi decent fuel every once in a while per 1000 or so miles they should last a very long time. Pootle around with it long term and then they will soot up, just like an exhaust system on a diesel vehicle.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

When I got my BX the fuel economy wasn't that good. It was recommended I use an injector cleaner, and the mpg went up by 5 miles. However, as I also did a reasonable amount of motorway driving I didn't need to use it again. I used Wynnes Diesel injector cleaner.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
hawaiianblue

Post by hawaiianblue »

The one shot tip in the petrol tank affairs are normally worth a shot once a year or so, but then a few tanks of premium petrol probably does the same.

Wynns do one in a can that you fill the fuel filter with, that seemed to make a massive difference to my parents old Xantia HDi, much more perky afterwards. It's also good for getting a car past a marginal fail on the emissions test.

The services garages offer normally pump a cleaner directly through the fuel rail, terraclean or some such is one of the brands. It's probably only really needed if the injectors are really clogged after another problem though.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Mandrake wrote:Is 'begins' referring to petrol injectors or diesel injectors ? There's a world of difference between them...
If I remember correct in one of his posts 'begins' has written that it's a 2.0 petrol C5 (same engine like mine).

I have never cleaned fuel injectors in my current petrol and not also in previous car Xantia 2.0 petrol which made 400k km with the original injectors without any problems :)
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual