Xantia suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndrewB

Xantia suspension

Post by AndrewB »

Have recently bought a 93 Xantia diesel (non turbo), which is my first Citroen since a couple of GSs many years ago.
The ride is very hard and jiggly, which I suspect is due to the spheres which have never been replaced, but the suspension warning light also comes on intermittently. Are the two faults linked or could there be separate causes?
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Hard ride is nearly always flat spheres, but check the rear arms too as these do wear. Move the car through the full range of suspension movement - should be smooth and no metallic creaking from the rear. Put the car on high and stand about 10ft behind it and look at the angle of the rear wheels - they should be pretty much upright || || like that, a small amount of negative camber is ok but if they look like /| || with the wheels at an angle the arm bearings have had it. Also look at the ride height - too high or low would give a rough ride as well.
As for the Stop light - check the LHM level first, and top up if necessary as this can cause the light to come on round corners as the fluid sloshes about in the tank. It may well be a flat accumilator sphere thats the cause, if they haven't changed the wheel spheres then the acc. is unlikey to have been done either. Listen for a regular tick or slight hiss from the front of the car every few seconds - if its less than 30 seconds then theres a problem, the acc. sphere being the most likely cause.
A failing pump may also cause the light to come on - does the steering go heavy at times?
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

It could also be a leak between the LHM tank and the pump which is drawing air into the system. That could cause both the hard ride and, if it got really bad, the warning light.
AndrewB

Post by AndrewB »

Thanks for the help guys.
I don't think there is a problem with the pump or the arms, am going to change all the spheres and see if that sorts out the problems.
A.