205 diesel TDC Sensor - advice

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Basil Zaharoff

205 diesel TDC Sensor - advice

Post by Basil Zaharoff »

Does anyone know what type of crank sensor will fit the bell housing on my 205 mardi gras with the 1,8 xud7T engine.
When trying the type with the integrated bracket, that I got off a 406, I got no response on my counter or voltmeter. I do get a response when rub a magnet very close to it, and the sensor reads around 300 ohms. How close does the sensor have to be to the flywheel to get a pickup? When measuring, the 406 sensor seems to be at least 20 mm from contact with the flywheel.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: 205 diesel TDC Sensor - advice

Post by Peter.N. »

Can't answer your compatibility problem but the sensor needs to be a lot closer than 20mm, I would thing 2 or 3 mm or even less would be more like it. Is yours like this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xantia-Cranks ... 1e8b45d5dc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Peter
Basil Zaharoff

Post by Basil Zaharoff »

Cheers peter,
Yeah its that type. The one that I'm guessing I need is the type without the fixed bolt hole, but with a separable bracket.
Its clearance is certainly well away from 2-3 mm, unless by chance I landed a notch. To measure it, I used a faily large allen key.
Does the flywheel have a magnet on it, or does the sensor just pick up a notch?

Joe,
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Joe

Not a magnet as such but it just picks up the residual magnetism that normally all ferrous material has, which is why the gap needs to be very small. I seem to remember that the flywheel has a hole drilled in at the appropriate place. Its a long time since I had one apart.

Peter