diesel pump pressure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

iroc

diesel pump pressure

Post by iroc »

hi guys back for some help with my 2001 picasso 2.0 hdi 90 hp ??i have been driving my daughters peugeot 307 2.0 hdi 110/hp my question is why my picasso seams to be down on power it's very slow on the power pick up any ideas the vacuum pump is fine so the turbo should be fine ? dose any one know the diesel pump working pressure for the hdi cheers archie
2001 Picasso 2.0 HDi 90bhp
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: diesel pump pressure

Post by Xaccers »

Both my parents had cars with the 90Hdi (Xsara, and Picasso) and I found them totally gutless compared with my older 1.9TD Xantias.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The injection pressure is very high - 297 bar at idle, rising to 1400 bar at full load. It won't be that, as the ECU would be upset if the pressure was too far wrong.

Ignore Xac.... whilst no ball of fire, the 90 BHP Xsara Picasso should easily bowl along at 80 on the Mway and not need a down change on hills, and never feel like it's lethargic. If you find that you're needing full throttle to get it wound up, and on hills, then I would suggest the MAF is buggered - they seem to be prone to this. Ours went at about 75k - well down on power, but no other symptoms. If you've got a Lexia, you can check the air flow, otherwise, find some with a similar car (eg the daughter's 307!) swap the MAF over (it may not be an exact fit, but it should do for testing purposes) and see if things improve. Avoid buying a cheap MAF - they don't last and give variable results!!
Richard W
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I agree with RichardW. I've a 90Bhp Berlingo and it's quite happy at anything above 40 in 5th gear even when laden with 2 adults, kid and holiday gear. I'd suggest MAF too.

They drive differently to the old TD, so don't feel as peaky or as punchy, but they've got just as much power and more torque. This is evident if you drive a 90 hdi Xantia against a TD one on the same day and get a chance to go on the motorway :-)

Sent from my GT-I9505
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Gracie uses the 90HP HDi engine, and, while she is no rocket ship, once the revs hit 2000 she will accelerate quickly all the way to 4,500 (her redline), regardless of what gear she is in.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
iroc

Post by iroc »

thanks guys for the advice will try these i went out this morning to try her and she was just like my daughters but then on the way back alas back to her old self so as i say i will check these things out cheers arch
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

RichardW wrote: Ignore Xac.... whilst no ball of fire, the 90 BHP Xsara Picasso should easily bowl along at 80 on the Mway and not need a down change on hills, and never feel like it's lethargic.
:mrgreen:
Don't get me wrong, they'll do motorway speeds, it just takes a while to get there, a lot like the 2.1TD Xantia I had.
Dad's 1.6hdi Picasso is a lot more responsive.
It does sound though that iroc has some intermittent issues with his though.

DIY sphere tool
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Xac wrote:Don't get me wrong, they'll do motorway speeds, it just takes a while to get there, a lot like the 2.1TD Xantia I had.
Really! Round here (Cotswolds) the one thing I miss from the 2.1 VSX now the 1.9TD is back on the road is the 20 fewer ponies and the drop in torque. Despite its higher gearing, in the VSX I usually didn't have to change down to 2nd for the hairpin just up the hill from home that's always a down-change in the 1.9. I miss the extra power and torque (when it was behaving), but not the rattles, nor the dead steering nor the poor (for a Xantia) ride.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Have you not tweaked your 1.9? Xac sent me a wonderful guide on how to get more out of it ages ago. Wasn't difficult to do at all.

Sent from my GT-I9505
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re:

Post by Xaccers »

northern_mike wrote:Have you not tweaked your 1.9? Xac sent me a wonderful guide on how to get more out of it ages ago. Wasn't difficult to do at all.

Sent from my GT-I9505
I've tweaked Cassy (both with the "fun" screw and upping the turbo pressure), but not Jenny.
The 1.9TD feels so much more responsive at lower speeds, whereas with mum's Xsara I had to rev the nuts out of it to get a similar oomph.

DIY sphere tool
iroc

Post by iroc »

hi i am back the car is doing it again it went away but its back and worse get her up to any speed then after 5 to 15 seconds she starts to die then if i put my foot down a bit further she takes of but lacks power do you think it could be the fuel tank pump on the way out because as i say and the thing is it is intermittent some times she is fine then the other side no power and the power tailing off