Air in diesel, plus bleed button stuck down!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lankytim
My Cars:

Air in diesel, plus bleed button stuck down!

Post by lankytim »

Hi, i'm back with another problem!

I recently fitted a glass inline fuel filter to my 2.5td, on the pipe leading to the main fuel filter. Things worked well but I suddenly found there was quite alot of air bubbles showing in the glass filter, also starting became more difficult and the bleed button on the main filter housing became pressed in with the engine running. On top of that the engine seems to misfire and hold back on long inclines.

Thinking the new glass filter could be at fault and letting in air I have removed it and inserted a long piece of metal pipe from a fiat Multipla i'm breaking. The engine starts and runs fine but the bleed button is still being sucked down. If I open the bleed screw on the side of the filter housing it seems to relieve pressure and the button pops back up.

Any idea on whats going on??
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Air in diesel, plus bleed button stuck down!

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That could indicate a restriction in the fuel flow to the filter. I do know (based on info and a picture I have seen on the forum) that micro organisms in diesel can block the in-tank sender.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=30827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fourth post down
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
lankytim
My Cars:

Post by lankytim »

Thanks for that, I have been meaning to clean the gauze out on the fuel pick up pipe in the tank. As I run on veg oil I may just remove it altogether and see what happens.

To be fair it does seem to run OK until the engine demands a high flow of diesel, like when going up a long hill on the motorway at high speed. If the gauze was blocked enough to create air bubbles at idle then surely the engine would stave of fuel at anything other than low speed.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Pass on that, but you might have 2 problems; a leaky fuel line and a clogged tank filter. If the filter IS clogged, it might let enough fuel through for normal driving, but be in trouble under a heavy load. Then you are more likely to get air being drawn into the fuel line.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
lankytim
My Cars:

Post by lankytim »

Hi all, I removed the gauze in the fuel tank, even though it appeared to be clear, then replaced the filter and housing, and also the pipe I replaced the inline fuel filter with, all with no success!

I then blew through the inlet pipe from the tank and a big flake of paint came out along with all the veg oil... afterwards the issue seems to have gone, the engine is pulling well and the air bubbles have gone (from what I can see through a section of clear fuel pipe) Fingers crossed the problem is solved

I also added a non-return valve from the spares car, it now starts first turn of the key..

Got to love these old Citroens, they certainly keep me busy!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well done.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Nice one. It's good when the solution is posted!
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.