REAR SUSPENSION CYLINDERS; XANTIA

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

surfer
My Cars:

REAR SUSPENSION CYLINDERS; XANTIA

Post by surfer »

Hi,
Does anybody know where to find a diagram/illustration, preferably exploded or sectioned, of the rear suspension cylinders from a Xantia?
The Haynes manual only shows the outside, in very little detail.
Thanks a lot,
Simon.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Come on then Blueboy, what is the difference between the two diagrams, apart from clip no 4 being nearer to the boot.
I never thought I'd be doning 'spot the difference' on this forum!!
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

From '96 on, diameter of cylinders was increased from 35 mm (like in GS, BX...) to 38 mm (some papers say 37). Estates have 40 mm. Otherwise, these rear cylinders are very similar across all models. Similar cylinders were also on the front in older models (DS, CX, GS).
surfer
My Cars:

Post by surfer »

Thanks Chaps,
I have a question however:
Whilst looking under my car at the weekend, hoping to find the cause of a rattle from the back, and suspecting the Activa cylinder to be responsible, I noticed that:
With the suspension depressurised and the back end raised on axle stands, one wheel had dropped lower than the other despite the car being on a flat surface.
I also found that I was able to move the actuating rod of one of the suspension cylinders through quite a large angle of articualtion before hearing metal to metal contact.
I've never had one of these in my hands, and I didn't remove it to check, but is this normal?
Or should it be like a conventional damper where the rod is connected to a piston and should only travel in and out of the cylinder parallel to the casing?
Thanks for your help,
Simon.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Surfer
From what I remember of dismantling a cylinder the actuating rod is a loose fit in the back of the piston and can be out of parallel with the cylinder, if there is movement before the rod contacts the piston, it could be the extreme end of the cylinder is damaged preventing the piston travelling the full distance, most likely corrosion from salt ingress. Although I would have thought that the very high pressures in the cylinder under operating conditions would force the piston past any obstruction. Was the actuating rod with the slack on the wheel that dropped lowest?
Pete
________
GLASS PIPE PICTURES
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:44, edited 1 time in total.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

YES - the actuating rod is a loose fit in the cylinder - with a plastic part inserted into the hollow piston - for gripping & centering the rod.
It's known from the BX - that the actuating rod can snap - either on any random part of it's lenght - or in the ballink at the suspension arm. Commomly one of the snapped rod parts will then protrude from the bellow - but it's not a rule.
I suggest you make an inspection by hand - by pressing/feeling on the suspension bellow in question - w/ NO pressure on the suspension !
You can compare both sides to find any odd symptoms.
PLEASE : do NOT pressurise the hydraulic system untill you're sure no fatal problems exists on the rear cylinders - as you'll loose the LHM oil quickly !
surfer
My Cars:

Post by surfer »

Thanks for that info.
Yes, the side with the suspect cylinder has the wheel at lowest droop,
making me think that a broken actuating rod is allowing more travel in that trailing arm.
I think Anders is right ~ that the rod has snapped. I will check again at the weekend and take a closer look at both sides.
Apart from a rattle at the back of the car, and the symptoms already described, the suspension seems alright, if a little harsh. This may be the spheres however as they appear to be pretty old.
I have already checked the price for a new cylinder from my local Citroen dealer and would you believe that it costs less than the sphere itself??
Thanks again for your help,
Simon.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Anyway, it's strange that one wheel dropped more than the other, since rear arm travel is limited with rebound stop, not with suspension cylinder elements.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">With the suspension depressurised and the back end raised on axle stands, one wheel had dropped lower than the other despite the car being on a flat surface.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Guys,
this shouldn't have anything to do with the suspension cylinders. I think if you look, the lower side will be missing it's lower bump stop [:D]
They can be a bugger to replace too !
The hydraulics have little impact on the cars height if they are depressurised ...
seeya,
Shane L.
surfer
My Cars:

Post by surfer »

Hmmm.
I'll take a look at that.
Where exactly are the rebound stops? I assume they are polyurethane items like the bump stops?
Thanks,
Simon.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Rebound stop is on the front of the rear arm, vis-a-vis conecting point with suspension cylinder rod. You can see it from under the car. I think it's from rubber on all models. PU bump stops are also fitted only to newer models.
Try this link
http://citroeny.cz/servis/xantiaser/zadni_rameno.gif
rebound stop = item 15
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Still -
One wheel should not drop much lower than the other - because of the (interlinked) antiroll bar ?
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Antiroll bar on activa is different. It's attached to one arm with drop link, and to other with hydraulic ram, so there's obviously some free play when system is not pressurised.
http://citroeny.cz/servis/xantiaser/zad ... Activa.gif
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Right [:I][:o)]
Activa is indeed very different - did'nt notice it's an Activa [8)]